+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony scd xa777es cd player for sale

I'm Steven.

Default Sony scd xa777es cd player for sale

SONY SCD-XA777ES CD PLAYER FOR SALE

Mint condition and works perfectly. No skips, jumps or failure to read/play CDs or SACDs. The digital display works perfectly and there are just two tiny rack marks on the top (see photos below)

Comes with original owner's manual and remote control. I will also include the factory service manual on a CD.

Built by Sony at the time to be their ultimate no compromise statement CD/SACD player. By the time Sony released their XA777ES they had had numerous attempts at perfecting CD replay through some pretty amazing machines and built up a vast resource of knowledge and expertise in the field of digital replay. Sony used all of this knowhow to produce the SCD-XA77ES at a time when the company still wanted to be a high end hifi market leader (why can't they find their mojo again now?).

Not surprisingly, the XA77ES's build quality is fabulous, far exceeding much of what is available today. The machine alone weighs 36 pounds (more than many decently powerful amplifiers). Everything is made out of metal. No cheap plastic parts, £10 CD ROM drives or tooth pick size capacitors here. The tray glides out in a way that Accuphase owners will recognise and the overall fit, finish, etc. is just exemplary. No wonder Accuphase, Lindemann and others used the XA777ES's transport in their flagship big bucks CD players for years.

I've provided some pictures below of the machine's 'innards'. Clearly, Sony put a lot of effort into the design and layout of the machine - check out the thoughtful compartmentalisation of the power supply/transport/Main Digital Board/Audio Circuit Board through a substantial frame/beam chassis, massive bespoke Sony made transport, big high quality 'R-Core' transformers, premium audio components such as the ludicrously large high end capacitors, high end headphone amplifier, 6 - YES - 6 digital to analogue converters (where most CD/SACD players make do with one, or at best, two...) for multi-level D/A conversion, etc, etc. It's hard not to admire this real world engineering excellence and craftsmanship.

When you look at the pictures below, if you have not seen something like a Sony SCD-XA777ES before, it may come as a bit of a shock. This is most definitely NOT one of those faux £2k+ CD/SACD players comprised of a plastic transport or cheap CD ROM drive, basic circuit boards and table tennis ball size transformer lost in acres of empty space packaged in an, admittedly, beautifully put together box fronted by a 4mm thick alloy fascia (added to give the illusion that you are purchasing something substantially built for your hard earned cash).

A comprehensive review (supported by a suite of measurements) of the machine is available online via a really interesting website run by Ken Rockwell, so you can balance his comments and testing against mine! According to 'Rocker's' review, "This player measures and sounds wonderful...Sony SCD-XA777ES is a spectacular chunk of audio playback hardware and arguably the best CD player ever made". Here is a link to the review:
    http://kenrockwell.com/audio/sony/scd-xa777es.htm

Never mind this Rockwell fella, what do I think? In my humble opinion, Sony's SCD-XA777ES is one of the finest front ends ever made. That is a helluva bold statement to make, especially as it is relates to an evil, nasty CD/SACD player - and a Sony one at that - living in an analogue world... But, please bear with me here. Last year at the Cranage Hall hifi show I was able to play some of my favourite Steely Dan music on SACD through a mind bogglingly expensive system that had, amongst other things, a 4 box flagship dCS SACD player. I expected to hear things I had never heard before or find the music being taken to another level. Well it didn't happen and in some respects, especially musicality and timbre, I preferred my Sony. My Sony more than held its own on detail retrieval too.

The mythical 'digital glare' trope so beloved of hifi journalists desperate to fill pages is non existent. We can also effortlessly throw 'tonal hardening', 'lean' and 'dry' in the bin too. The music just flows out in a lovely neutral, natural and beautifully balanced way. It's the purity and neutrality of the sound over a really wide frequency range that gets me and, of course, it makes long listening sessions a fatigue free experience. As you would expect from a high end digital source, timing is phenomenal helped no doubt by the massive transport and advanced servo software. Definition, the ability to resolve detail is exceptionally high too and with high quality headphones on you can dig really deep into recordings like never before. Bass shows great extension but still manages to be precise and fast. No problems with the treble either. Fans of cymbals for example (I used to play the drums...badly!) will love the grain free presentation and enjoy the decay of notes against a backdrop of absolutely no noise whatsoever. Soundstage is cavernous and I love the way you can so easily locate the performers even in the most complex of mixes. I could say a lot more on the sound quality but in the interests of keeping a potential buyer awake it's probably time to stop!

The in built headphone amp is absolutely superb by the way, easily able to match the one built with discrete components in my Accuphase amplifier (which would be £10k in today's money). For that reason alone, the SCD-XA777ES is a bargain.

Here's some information on the CD player's functions:

Outputs
    Analog
    2-channel stereo and 6-channel (5.1) outputs.
    2 V RMS full-scale into at least 10kΩ.
    Headphones: 10 mW into 32Ω (565 mV) - this is GOOD as you can drive some pretty high impedance headphones with ease.
    Digital
    Optical TOSLINK: -18 dBm at 660nm (CD only).
    Coaxial: 500mV peak-to-peak into 75Ω (CD only).
    Frequency Range
    SACD
    2 ~ 100,000 Hz
    CD
    2 ~ 20,000 Hz

Size, including projections
    430 × 130 × 380 millimeters, WHD.
    17 × 5 1/8 × 15 inches, WHD.

Features:
    Multi-Channel Super Audio CD Playback Capability.
    CD/CD-R/CD-RW Playback Capability.
    Tri-Powered Super Audio D/A Converter System.
    Multi-Channel Direct Stream DigitalTM Decoder.
    Multi-Channel Management System.
    Discrete Laser/Optical Pick Up System with Dual Lasers.
    Direct Digital Synch D/A Clock System.
    Direct Disc Selection plus Track Access via Jog Dial Control.
    32 Step Programming.
    All Disc/All Track Repeat Functions via Remote (only).
    SACD Text/CD Text Capability.
    Fixed Line Output.
    Unbalanced Audio Output.
    Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs for CD Selection.
    6 Multi-Channel Analog Output, plus Stereo Line Level Output for CD and SACD.
    Control A-1 II for Connection to Sony Components.
    Frame and Beam Chassis Construction.
    Dual R-Core Power Transformers.
    Triple Audio Boards.
    Gold Plated Line Outputs.
    Aluminum Front Panel.
    Off-Center Insulator Feet.
    Dual User Assembly Optimized for SACD/CD Playback.

Picture time:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The DAC lives in here:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I would be more than happy to give a demonstration on my system. In fact, I urge you to come and have a listen. You will not be disappointed and lots of chocolate biscuits/tea/coffee will be provided. As the Grand Wazoo will attest, I do biscuits as well as or better than any one!

I also have a spare new GENUINE Sony (not a cheap Chinese copy) laser for the machine which is available separately for £275. That's £25 below retail and I've never even opened the storage box!

It's hard to work out a price for something like this. In the end I went on the dreaded 'fleabay' to see what SCD-XA777ES's fetch. £800 - £1200 seems to be the range. I am asking £800 for mine including insured shipping which is a very reasonable price!!!!! All that tech. for less than half the price of a mid-range interconnect - no contest

As other AoS members will tell you I pack very securely so you have no worries there.

Any queries, please do get in touch.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Steve
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Benchmark LA4 pre-amplifier and AHB2 power amplifier
    Sony CDP-X707ES CD player
    Sony CDP-X505ES CD player
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Sony DVP-NS900V used as a transport only
    Technics SLPG-590 CD player used as a transport only
    Marantz CD6000SE CD player used as a transport only
    Revel Performa3 M105 speakers and matching stands
    Massdrop thxaaa 789 headphone amplifier
    Audeze LCD-XC (2021 Revision) Headphones
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Shane.

Absolutely stunning, and to be saluted! This Sony would probably knock out a CD12!

I'm using an older generation CDP-X777ES, and don't see myself parting with it.

S.

I'm Manny.

Bargain alert!!!

I'm James.

Ooh I wish I had the space and funds for this, glws
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Andrew.

Nice , and your very detailed ad puts mine to shame . Brilliant GLWTS

I'm Steven.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Regards

Steve
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Martyn.

PM sent.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    PM sent.
    Thanks.

PM sent.

Regards

Steve
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Topping D90SE DAC

I'm Adam.

I don't want a cd transport as it's not my direction but blimey
    Your ad and description just makes me want it!
    Quality piece of kit it appears, would have loved to hear it against the Top Rega cd transport
    Good luck. I'm sure it won't hang about...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Vince.

A thing of beauty, no mistake. Kind of makes me wish I was in the market for a CD player. Glwts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast