+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Blind phono stage & amp; Capacitor testing

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Not sure what Walt Jung has to do with my listening room comparison but ok.
    Walt Jung was one of the first people to claim that capacitors affected sound quality and was one of the first to undertake some research (as far as I'm aware).

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Indeed. I well recall photocopying about 30 issues of Audio Amateur... every page!
    That's dedication!

Bigman80 Guest

Ah, I see. Well seeing as he was a pioneer (and correct),'I doff my cap.

Cant fault his thirst for knowledge!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Others include Ben Duncan publishing in Hi Fi news and Record Review,
    who could forget the famous bath tub curve ! and Cyril Bateman
    https://linearaudio.nl/cyril-bateman...sound-articles

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Walt Jung was one of the first people to claim that capacitors affected sound quality and was one of the first to undertake some research (as far as I'm aware).

That's dedication!
    I can beat that! As a child/teenager I read pretty much every book on electronics in every library within 10 miles or so and all by push bike, walking or bus.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Stephen.

No Oliver. Didn't touch a nerve. I just read the thread last night and thought a bit of a strange way to conclude. Personally, doesn't bother me in the least.

Sorry if my humour was perceived as cynicism. It's what I love about forums: the way comments can be perceived totally different to that intended.

Don't need to pull stuff off Google, Oliver. It's just what I have in my head. Go and read The Audio Amateur Jez mentioned, if it's on-line.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I can beat that! As a child/teenager I read pretty much every book on electronics in every library within 10 miles or so and all by push bike, walking or bus.
    Try telling that to kids today...

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Try telling that to kids today...
    Tha' don't believe yer...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    No Oliver. Didn't touch a nerve. I just read the thread last night and thought a bit of a strange way to conclude. Personally, doesn't bother me in the least.

Sorry if my humour was perceived as cynicism. It's what I love about forums: the way comments can be perceived totally different to that intended.

Don't need to pull stuff off Google, Oliver. It's just what I have in my head. Go and read The Audio Amateur Jez mentioned, if it's on-line.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
    There definitely context missing in the written form! I will definitely do some reading on the subject.

I do see it's a bit of an odd way to conclude the findings and there definitely is a lack of technical info. I dont have that much technical nous but my ears are good so everything is done and judged by ear.

I think I should have thought about how it would end before starting it. Maybe a "audible differences in capacitors" thread would have been a better thread.

No harm no foul.

I'm James.

What's happened to the superdooper Firebottle phono stage capacitor evaluation, gone up in smoke?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What's happened to the superdooper Firebottle phono stage capacitor evaluation, gone up in smoke?
    Not at all Jimbo!. Its still on-going. Trouble we've had is that the Op amps aren't performing in the way one would expect so basically a redesigning of the circuit is taking place.

As far as Capacitors go, Alan is looking to try and create a circuit that removes them altogether,

The lack of news is my fault! Ive been on holiday and preoccupied at work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast