+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind phono stage & amp; Capacitor testing

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Best I don't answer that.

Seriously though, capacitor comparisons have value. They can affect sonic characteristics.

Marco did an interesting series of similar tests with his passive pre-amp not long ago.
    Oooh i shall look that up.

This has certainly opened my eyes to the value of comparisons of components. I felt some were better at getting out the way of the music while others were way too imposing. Thats what i found with the Zn's. They were too smooth and it sounded dull. The Signal Paths were excellent for a "live Sound" but didn't have the best Mid range in the end. The Mundorf Evos are the best of the rest in my opinion but i ended up putting about 40 hours through them before they got good. They would be a very good upgrade for most products and they are very inexpensive. The ones we had from HiFi collective were under £5 ex VAT for the pair i think.

Oh! The Mundorf Evos are in the Tron too. They are a very good choice.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Well, its a bit like why manufacturers such as Ray Samuels remove the Opamp details from the top of the chip. They spend £££'s and hours listening and testing until they're happy with their choice and they aren't just going to give away their findings to everyone for free, because they're selling stuff. Same as the Capacitors. They are going into a product which will be for sale.
    WOW,,,

No sleep for me tonight, then.

But then you have individuals like: Nelson Pass, John Curl. Walt Jung, Joe Curcio - who freely share (and have done for decades) their knowledge.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    WOW,,,

No sleep for me tonight, then.

But then you have individuals like: Nelson Pass, John Curl. Walt Jung, Joe Curcio - who freely share (and have done for decades) their knowledge.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
    Why no sleep?

If you want to know how I came to my conclusion then ill happily share that knowledge with you

Im pretty sure, Apple, Samsung etc dont reveal their secrets. They tell you what their products do, not how they do it, parts they use etc.

Pretty standard approach really.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Why no sleep?

If you want to know how I came to my conclusion then ill happily share that knowledge with you

Im pretty sure, Apple, Samsung etc dont reveal their secrets. They tell you what their products do, not how they do it, parts they use etc.

But a now a very outdated approach, that you do not have to put up with.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Im not sure its outdated.

I'm Chris.

Im not sure its outdated.
    I am sure it is.

Bigman80 Guest

I am sure it is.
    Care to give an example? I have offered one earlier in my posts.

I'm Chris.

Debian, and the 285 or so other operating systems http://distrowatch.com most, which you can
    use, copy and share, are free to change to do what you want, and free to contribute to,
    to improve. so vastly different to the don't's you explained in Post 23

The hardware is then the software, due to the kernel https://www.kernel.org/ being constantly updated
    to reflect the hardware's features.

RothwellAudio Guest

So the contenders were (minus the winner, thats a secret ;D )

Random 0.72p polypropylene Cap

Random Polystyrene cap

Mundorf ZN Cap

Signal Path Cap

Mundorf Evo Cap

Random £1. 50 Polypropylene cap

Plus the winning cap.
    Without the circuit diagram and without knowing the values (capacitance and voltage) these tests are too vague to draw any broad conclusions from imho.

Yes, I don't see any reason why a commercial organisation shouldn't have secrets - seems perfectly normal to me.

People are free to share knowledge if they choose to. People are also free to keep the results of their research secrets if they choose to. The patent, copyright and trademark system is there to protect people's intellectual property and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Bigman80 Guest

Debian, and the 285 or so other operating systems http://distrowatch.com most, which you can
    use, copy and share, are free to change to do what you want, and free to contribute to,
    to improve. so vastly different to the don't's you explained in Post 23

The hardware is then the software, due to the kernel https://www.kernel.org/ being constantly updated
    to reflect the hardware's features.
    How about an example thats cost the researcher money rather than someone sitting there writing code? Opensource is one thing. Research is another.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast