+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Blind phono stage & amp; Capacitor testing

Bigman80 Guest

I will add that Burson and Sparkylabs have kindly sent us some discrete opamps to try in the new circuit so you can expect a write up about how they fare!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

What issues are you having with the op amps-noisy?

Good to hear the project is still ongoing.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What issues are you having with the op amps-noisy?

Good to hear the project is still ongoing.
    Yes mate, cant use the discrete op ams in the first stage (Gain) due to noise but there is another issue with the offeset voltage (?) And something to do with rails. Alan has identified the issues and has a way around it but that involves redesigning the circuit. The hope was that the PCB freely available could be manipulated into doing what we want but its proving to be difficult.

What we have found from testing and listening (no science yet) is that the MK2 prototype was blacker than black when we used the opamp that came with the board. This was used solely for gain and that was very encouraging.

I honestly believe that​ when the wrinkles have been ironed out, this will outperform a lot of contenders. Trouble is, it needs to get there first!

montesquieu Guest

Ahem keen to hear more about that Nighthawk, all that adjustability is right up my street, I must look out for one to have a play with

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Ahem keen to hear more about that Nighthawk, all that adjustability is right up my street, I must look out for one to have a play with
    There was one on ebay very recently at about £500(?) I really liked it but to me it sounded a bit compressed to my ears. Pitch black background though which is admirable. And the build quality was quite superb.

I'm Alan.

The Nighthawk is a very elegant design, no coupling capacitors in line although here is one electrolytic in the feedback network, so will have some (probably small) influence on the sound.
    I think the biggest drawback is that it uses feedback RIAA equalisation, which in most people's opinion, that have heard the difference, results in a slightly compressed or 'sat on' type of sound delivery.

The one overriding quality is that it is VERY quiet

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The Nighthawk is a very elegant design, no coupling capacitors in line although here is one electrolytic in the feedback network, so will have some (probably small) influence on the sound.
    I think the biggest drawback is that it uses feedback RIAA equalisation, which in most people's opinion, that have heard the difference, results in a slightly compressed or 'sat on' type of sound delivery.

The one overriding quality is that it is VERY quiet
    I'm not sure I would buy one though. The idea in principle of having all the options available on the front panel is very useful. It didnt offer the space and sparkle of the other phono stages we listened to.

It did sound "sat on" thats a very good description.

Bigman80 Guest

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132225828599

Click the link, Tom 😉👍

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132225828599

Click the link, Tom ����

He prefers it to the EAR 834P. Not surprised, the 834P is nothing marvellous.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Ive not heard one in all fairness. I dont think £580 is a great price either, although they can go for more. Its hype. its called the "Giant Killer" All I will say is it got murdered in the blind test by the OTP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast