+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind phono stage & amp; Capacitor testing

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd still like to know why different capacitors have different 'sounds'.

(good to hear from you Oliver, not sure about that avatar though )
    Hi Geoff, its nice to be back!

I have no idea why they sound different but they do! It was very noticeable too. The wife said "whats happened to the sound" when I was testing. I flipped the switch to my favourites and she said "ah, that's much better" so without even telling he anything, she could here it too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Graham.

Shouldn't this thread be in the DIY section?
    Graham Tricker
    G T Audio/AudioMeister/TRON
    01895 833099

Personal System
    Analogue: TW Acustic Black Night Turntable, SME M2-12R Tonearm, Ortofon 90th Anniversary SPU / TW Acustic Raven LTD Turntable, TW Acustic 10.5 Tonearm, Transfiguration Proteus / Studer 807 & Studer 810 Tape Machines.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith MKII / Tron Seven GT DAC.
    Amplification: Tron Seven GT Mono Phono stage x 2 / Tron Nemesis Preamplifier / Tron Telstar Power Amplifier.
    Loudspeakers: Cessaro Liszt Horns.

I'm jamie.

i believe so,
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Does R&D belong in DIY? I must've read the stickies 6 times and still get it wrong. Im sure one of our kind Mods will correct it if necessary.

I'm Charlie.

R&D for a manufacturer should probably go in the trader's section in trade impressions. That's where Jez from Arkless, Paul from RFC and others put their new developments.

If it's an individual DIY project, then the DIY section is appropriate. I might be wrong, but then I'm not a mod.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    R&D for a manufacturer should probably go in the trader's section in trade impressions. That's where Jez from Arkless, Paul from RFC and others put their new developments.

If it's an individual DIY project, then the DIY section is appropriate. I might be wrong, but then I'm not a mod.
    Good point Doc, maybe a mod can move it to the right area for me.

Bigman80 Guest

Well, we're atill here in the Anaolgue Art section so i thought a little update was necessary.

So the contenders were (minus the winner, thats a secret ;D )

Random 0.72p polypropylene Cap

Random Polystyrene cap

Mundorf ZN Cap

Signal Path Cap

Mundorf Evo Cap

Random £1. 50 Polypropylene cap

Plus the winning cap.

I put around 30 hours of music through the various capacitors before listening tests. I used about 20 different tracks, some for only the odd note here and there. Overall i really enjoyed this. I had the Guitar & Piano at hand throughout and tried to find the nearest sounding option available. I have invested around 15 hour listening and testing each cap note for note and ended up having to buy a headphone amp to keep the wife happy lol.

The biggest surprise was how well the 0.72p cap sounded ! i actually preferred this to the Mundorf ZN ! It lacked a little refinement and sounded a touch raw but it did very well.

The finalists were the Signal Paths, Mundorf Evos (much better than the ZN's) and the overall winners, which i wont announce lol I'm now looking into ways to conceal the identity of them

Any way, as a first foray into testing i'd say doing it blindly is the real winner here.

So to conclude this little thread, The best names aren't always the best caps.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The finalists were the Signal Paths, Mundorf Evos (much better than the ZN's) and the overall winners, which i wont announce lol I'm now looking into ways to conceal the identity of them
    Am I being more dense than usual here, in asking: Why? I don't quite understand the point of this.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Am I being more dense than usual here, in asking: Why? I don't quite understand the point of this.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

Well, its a bit like why manufacturers such as Ray Samuels remove the Opamp details from the top of the chip. They spend £££'s and hours listening and testing until they're happy with their choice and they aren't just going to give away their findings to everyone for free, because they're selling stuff. Same as the Capacitors. They are going into a product which will be for sale.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Am I being more dense than usual here
    Best I don't answer that.

Seriously though, capacitor comparisons have value. They can affect sonic characteristics.

Marco did an interesting series of similar tests with his passive pre-amp not long ago.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast