+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shameless Plug.... Syngate Records Release - Berlin School (Some insight)

I'm David.

Default Shameless Plug.... Syngate Records Release - Berlin School (Some insight)

This is my 2nd album and maybe first proper release on Syngate Records in Germany and a shameless plug by me. It is Berlin school based but also touches on other styles of electronica.

https://syngate.bandcamp.com/album/electron-utopia
    (DASK - Electron Utopia)

Since I crossed over to the 'dark side' of 'pro audio' and composing my own music I have been less into Hi-Fi. In fact I don't own any expensive HiFi speakers any more, the last pair being some martin logans. However what I find interesting is that being into HiFi for so long (30 years) and having used some expensive gear in the past and making my own DIY gear it has served me very well in training my ears to make my own sounds having spent countless hours tweaking my Hi-Fi like most of us do.

I will say that mastering can be hard and almost impossible to make an album sound good on all setups, hats off to the pros that do this for a living. Some ear buds like the apple ones are so bad when you master to sound correct on pro studio headphones or speakers so it sounds good on an decent HiFi it can sound poor on stuff used by the masses. I see why some music now sounds ok on budget setups but really bad on hi-end revealing systems that show all the EQ done to suit lower systems so the art is getting a balance between the two. I took some time mastering this myself with various tools since I cannot afford to use a proper mastering studio, most indie musicians can't tbh.

Anyone with electronics background or knowledge should get the title of the tracks and theme of the album BTW.
    David.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent post David.

It's a sad fact of life that new music is being mixed/mastered to suit 'mobile' systems.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

As most music is streamed to iphones etc thats where a lot of the effort goes now. I guess they may well do several mixes , one for mp3 and one for cd. One for vinyl
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Yes, there is even a mastering tool to check what your mix sound like on all the cheap earbuds and mobile setups. It turns your 1k cans or speakers into sounding like the system you want to mix best for. Basically it can make your system sound like crap so you can adjust the mix. Does not leave much hope for future audio quality esp now SACD and dvd-a are dead and only a few are interested in 24 bit audio.
    David.

I'm David.

A free download track of mine here... I bit of a quirky take on Berlin School since it is not the typical 'spacey' theme usual with that style.

https://dask.bandcamp.com/track/insecta-green-edit

I used a 1:1.70 compression ratio so would be interested on how it works on a good Hi-Fi or cans.
    Last edited by swampy; 02-06-2017 at 20:31.
    David.

I'm Phil.

fantastic , got some syngate records . been ito berlin school for years . playing stellardrone right now , absolutely adore gert emmens and I think I have about 20 of his albums along with ron boots . hope it goes well
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

I am a big fan of Ian Boddy, Arc and Redshift, the keller trio (BKS). There are so many good and much better musicians than me keeping this style alive and moving forward. It is a pitty so many of these guys fly under the radar for many electronica fans. I have some of Gert's music also. Must dig it out and re-listen some.
    David.

I'm Phil.

definitely , I was listening to ian boddys chiasmata and gert emmens nearest faraway place vol 1 this week
    got FD project today and yesterday on now

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

this is a great thread too , you might recognise one on page 11

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/12...o-electronica/

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Thanks hifinut. Once I finish recording I usually do 1 pass listen then I don't listen to my own music again. Infact I really start to hate it and this does seem to be very common when you read articles and threads on kvaudio / reddit etc. So many great artists and big name composers really hate their own music even big hits. (KURT COBAIN CALLED “SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT” ‘AN EMBARRASSMENT’) Same with many actors who refuse to watch themselves on screen. There are only a few artists who play and listen to their own music and Kanye West is the main well known one... enough said !!

In the past when I recorded anything I just deleted it all. Some might think for the better Probably deleted better stuff than I bothered to put out now.

I think the truely great music, art and movies are those that never date or date very slowly. Like watching a Ridley Scott movie and then realizing it is nearly 30 years old but still looks amazing on screen or artists like Klaus Schultz who released En-Trance in 1988 before the word even existed and Trance music in the mid 90's. Some artists are just ahead of their time I guess.
    David.

+ Reply to Thread