+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wanted Thorens TD124 Mk2

  1. #1
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Llanerfyl, Mid Wales

    Posts: 46
    I'm Nigel.

    Default Wanted Thorens TD124 Mk2

    Not likely I know but has anyone have one they want to pass on?
    Must be in excellent condition please

  2. #2
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,436
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    Not likely I know but has anyone have one they want to pass on?
    Must be in excellent condition please
    Good luck Nigel. I asked on here once too, I got no replies.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  3. #3
    Join Date: Nov 2016

    Location: Castelvetrano

    Posts: 3
    I'm Antonino.

    Default

    I own a TD124 mkII already serviced with SME 3009 II improved, wooden plinth and transparent lid.
    Not convinced to sell, but I'll evaluate sensible offers.
    The turntable is in Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,242
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    Not likely I know but has anyone have one they want to pass on?
    Must be in excellent condition please
    In many ways it is better to buy a tired but honest example, then get it serviced and refurbished only where warranted, eg motor rebuild, new bearings etc. It may be tempting to go for something that's had all the work done, but that does not guarantee that you won't have to undertake remedial work yourself; also that does not guarantee that it will sound good.

    So, don't be afrid of buying a scruffy deck - there are plenty of resources and helpful people out there and there is nothing inside a TD-124 that cannot be serviced, refurbished or replaced.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Barnet, london UK

    Posts: 291
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acastel View Post
    I own a TD124 mkII already serviced with SME 3009 II improved, wooden plinth and transparent lid.
    Not convinced to sell, but I'll evaluate sensible offers.
    The turntable is in Italy.
    Antonio
    either you are willing to part with it, if so name your price, prick teasing isn't a nice thing!
    "lack of passion is fatal"
    LP12, Kore, Lingo2, Aro, SKale / DV XX2Mk2 / WAD 300b Power Modded, Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / AD Audio 'Little Gate' Jfet MC Cartridge Amp / Tannoy 12" MGs in Chatsworth size cabs / Speaker Cables: Duelund DCA16GA / Rpi3 & Digi + pro / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Interconnects: Duelund DCA20GA home brew / SW1X Audio Phono SPDIF AERO 6 / David Coe AD Audio Silver USB / Synology NAS Drive / Tidal HiFi

  6. #6
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 28,566
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    You could have worded that better Adam. Antonino is a new member and not familiar with our ways. Why not send him a PM?
    Mr. Tact!

    Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

  7. #7
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Barnet, london UK

    Posts: 291
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    I hear you Geoff.. apologies Antonio, and welcome along.
    Indeed i'll PM him..
    "lack of passion is fatal"
    LP12, Kore, Lingo2, Aro, SKale / DV XX2Mk2 / WAD 300b Power Modded, Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / AD Audio 'Little Gate' Jfet MC Cartridge Amp / Tannoy 12" MGs in Chatsworth size cabs / Speaker Cables: Duelund DCA16GA / Rpi3 & Digi + pro / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Interconnects: Duelund DCA20GA home brew / SW1X Audio Phono SPDIF AERO 6 / David Coe AD Audio Silver USB / Synology NAS Drive / Tidal HiFi

  8. #8
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Location: Berkshire, UK

    Posts: 2,000
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Well ... the TD124 MkII is my destination turntable after owning LP12, Townshend Rock, Rock Reference, Voyd 3-motor, Garrard 401, Goldring G88 and assorted modded Lenco L75/78 models, assorted DD TTs from Sony, Technics and Denon, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten ... I still have a soft spot for Garrards and Lencos but I doubt I would ever sell the Thorens under any circumstances.

    The Thorens is not without its flaws ... all it can be hard to keep the drive assembly quiet and needs regular attention with q tips and alcohol to clean off rubber that accumulates on the pulleys from the idler drive belt (the one challenge with restoration is the bearing on the belt pulley shaft - Schopper won't touch this though Terry at Loricraft sorted mine out for me). Having said that, pulley noise essentially can't be heard at the stylus tip. The TD124 seems to me to be 'just right' between rythmic robustness that can be a bit unsubtle at times (Garrard) and detail/delicacy that nevertheless is subject like any relatively lightweight suspended TT to audible pitch problems (Linn/Funk/Voyd etc - as a musician with perfect pitch this annoys the hell out of me) - TD124 needs a very heavy plinth though to give its best.

    I haven't owned any of the very high mass belt drive TTs in the Nottingham Analogue sort of area, I should probably get one for a play at some point, though I think it would have to be something like a Platine Verdier to be in the same performance ballpark as the Thorens - the reason I've never owned a high-mass TT is because I think an idler is, in general, an audibly better solution ... some lesser high-mass designs while delicate enough and more solid in pitch terms than your average belt drive have seemed to me to lack the drive and gusto of a good idler.

    I guess it's all in what sort of presentation you like though .... an idler will never be as quiet as some of the other approaches and also needs regular maintenance .... that's a showstopper for some people.
    Speakers - 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys with custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Preamp - EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII with Ikeda IT345-CR1 and Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges: Miyajima Madake, Zero Mono 0.7 and Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with bamboo cantilever, Ortofon SPU Royal N and Shure M3D with Jico stylus; phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport.

    'Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang der ist ein Narr sein Leben lang.'

  9. #9
    Join Date: Apr 2017

    Location: South coast of England

    Posts: 5
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    Hi there is one on good old evil bay item number 272701974739 in Oxford.

  10. #10
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 16,103
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well ... the TD124 MkII is my destination turntable after owning LP12, Townshend Rock, Rock Reference, Voyd 3-motor, Garrard 401, Goldring G88 and assorted modded Lenco L75/78 models, assorted DD TTs from Sony, Technics and Denon, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten ... I still have a soft spot for Garrards and Lencos but I doubt I would ever sell the Thorens under any circumstances.

    The Thorens is not without its flaws ... all it can be hard to keep the drive assembly quiet and needs regular attention with q tips and alcohol to clean off rubber that accumulates on the pulleys from the idler drive belt (the one challenge with restoration is the bearing on the belt pulley shaft - Schopper won't touch this though Terry at Loricraft sorted mine out for me). Having said that, pulley noise essentially can't be heard at the stylus tip. The TD124 seems to me to be 'just right' between rythmic robustness that can be a bit unsubtle at times (Garrard) and detail/delicacy that nevertheless is subject like any relatively lightweight suspended TT to audible pitch problems (Linn/Funk/Voyd etc - as a musician with perfect pitch this annoys the hell out of me) - TD124 needs a very heavy plinth though to give its best.

    I haven't owned any of the very high mass belt drive TTs in the Nottingham Analogue sort of area, I should probably get one for a play at some point, though I think it would have to be something like a Platine Verdier to be in the same performance ballpark as the Thorens - the reason I've never owned a high-mass TT is because I think an idler is, in general, an audibly better solution ... some lesser high-mass designs while delicate enough and more solid in pitch terms than your average belt drive have seemed to me to lack the drive and gusto of a good idler.

    I guess it's all in what sort of presentation you like though .... an idler will never be as quiet as some of the other approaches and also needs regular maintenance .... that's a showstopper for some people.
    Good post Tom,

    I have three TD124/IIs and find that the maintenace is actually quite low. If you use good quality belts there is very little rubber shedding. I give my decks a 'service' every six months or so and apart from cleaning up a small amount of dust from under the platter, the only maintenance is to re-grease the idler wheel bearing and lubricate the belt pully bearing and the main bearing using Thorens oil supplied by Schopper.

    After ten years or so, I replace the rubber chassis suspension 'mushrooms', which have often become hard or have started to collapse.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •