+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Thorens TD124 Mk2

I'm Nigel.

Default Wanted Thorens TD124 Mk2

Not likely I know but has anyone have one they want to pass on?
    Must be in excellent condition please

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    Good luck Nigel. I asked on here once too, I got no replies.
    Regards Neil

I'm Antonino.

I own a TD124 mkII already serviced with SME 3009 II improved, wooden plinth and transparent lid.
    Not convinced to sell, but I'll evaluate sensible offers.
    The turntable is in Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    In many ways it is better to buy a tired but honest example, then get it serviced and refurbished only where warranted, eg motor rebuild, new bearings etc. It may be tempting to go for something that's had all the work done, but that does not guarantee that you won't have to undertake remedial work yourself; also that does not guarantee that it will sound good.

So, don't be afrid of buying a scruffy deck - there are plenty of resources and helpful people out there and there is nothing inside a TD-124 that cannot be serviced, refurbished or replaced.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by acastel View Post
    I own a TD124 mkII already serviced with SME 3009 II improved, wooden plinth and transparent lid.
    Not convinced to sell, but I'll evaluate sensible offers.
    The turntable is in Italy.
    Antonio
    either you are willing to part with it, if so name your price, prick teasing isn't a nice thing!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

You could have worded that better Adam. Antonino is a new member and not familiar with our ways. Why not send him a PM?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

I hear you Geoff.. apologies Antonio, and welcome along.
    Indeed i'll PM him..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Well ... the TD124 MkII is my destination turntable after owning LP12, Townshend Rock, Rock Reference, Voyd 3-motor, Garrard 401, Goldring G88 and assorted modded Lenco L75/78 models, assorted DD TTs from Sony, Technics and Denon, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten ... I still have a soft spot for Garrards and Lencos but I doubt I would ever sell the Thorens under any circumstances.

The Thorens is not without its flaws ... all it can be hard to keep the drive assembly quiet and needs regular attention with q tips and alcohol to clean off rubber that accumulates on the pulleys from the idler drive belt (the one challenge with restoration is the bearing on the belt pulley shaft - Schopper won't touch this though Terry at Loricraft sorted mine out for me). Having said that, pulley noise essentially can't be heard at the stylus tip. The TD124 seems to me to be 'just right' between rythmic robustness that can be a bit unsubtle at times (Garrard) and detail/delicacy that nevertheless is subject like any relatively lightweight suspended TT to audible pitch problems (Linn/Funk/Voyd etc - as a musician with perfect pitch this annoys the hell out of me) - TD124 needs a very heavy plinth though to give its best.

I haven't owned any of the very high mass belt drive TTs in the Nottingham Analogue sort of area, I should probably get one for a play at some point, though I think it would have to be something like a Platine Verdier to be in the same performance ballpark as the Thorens - the reason I've never owned a high-mass TT is because I think an idler is, in general, an audibly better solution ... some lesser high-mass designs while delicate enough and more solid in pitch terms than your average belt drive have seemed to me to lack the drive and gusto of a good idler.

I guess it's all in what sort of presentation you like though .... an idler will never be as quiet as some of the other approaches and also needs regular maintenance .... that's a showstopper for some people.

I'm Adrian.

Hi there is one on good old evil bay item number 272701974739 in Oxford.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well ... the TD124 MkII is my destination turntable after owning LP12, Townshend Rock, Rock Reference, Voyd 3-motor, Garrard 401, Goldring G88 and assorted modded Lenco L75/78 models, assorted DD TTs from Sony, Technics and Denon, and no doubt a few others I've forgotten ... I still have a soft spot for Garrards and Lencos but I doubt I would ever sell the Thorens under any circumstances.

The Thorens is not without its flaws ... all it can be hard to keep the drive assembly quiet and needs regular attention with q tips and alcohol to clean off rubber that accumulates on the pulleys from the idler drive belt (the one challenge with restoration is the bearing on the belt pulley shaft - Schopper won't touch this though Terry at Loricraft sorted mine out for me). Having said that, pulley noise essentially can't be heard at the stylus tip. The TD124 seems to me to be 'just right' between rythmic robustness that can be a bit unsubtle at times (Garrard) and detail/delicacy that nevertheless is subject like any relatively lightweight suspended TT to audible pitch problems (Linn/Funk/Voyd etc - as a musician with perfect pitch this annoys the hell out of me) - TD124 needs a very heavy plinth though to give its best.

I haven't owned any of the very high mass belt drive TTs in the Nottingham Analogue sort of area, I should probably get one for a play at some point, though I think it would have to be something like a Platine Verdier to be in the same performance ballpark as the Thorens - the reason I've never owned a high-mass TT is because I think an idler is, in general, an audibly better solution ... some lesser high-mass designs while delicate enough and more solid in pitch terms than your average belt drive have seemed to me to lack the drive and gusto of a good idler.

I guess it's all in what sort of presentation you like though .... an idler will never be as quiet as some of the other approaches and also needs regular maintenance .... that's a showstopper for some people.
    Good post Tom,

I have three TD124/IIs and find that the maintenace is actually quite low. If you use good quality belts there is very little rubber shedding. I give my decks a 'service' every six months or so and apart from cleaning up a small amount of dust from under the platter, the only maintenance is to re-grease the idler wheel bearing and lubricate the belt pully bearing and the main bearing using Thorens oil supplied by Schopper.

After ten years or so, I replace the rubber chassis suspension 'mushrooms', which have often become hard or have started to collapse.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast