+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place

I'm Mike.

Default Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place

A Mike New Mk1 arrived yesterday and was fitted within a few minutes of breaking into the substantial packaging ��

Right away I noticed even more detail than before, I usually run my modded 1210 with the OEM platter, SDS Isoplatmat with the SDS thin mat on top of that.

I've been lucky because on each step of this upgrade journey I've noticed an obvious upgrade in sound quality. I had to readjust the VTA of the Zyx cartridge as the MN Platter is shallower than the OEM one, lowering the Mission 774 arm pillar to 0 on the mount is the max I can get obviously and it seems pretty good there, this makes arm wand sit about 1mm lower at the pivot end, the Zyx ( and I ) prefer this as it digs out a bit more bass without sacrificing detail.

I've tried various combinations of MN Platter with no mat, with SDS platter ( SDS mat on and off ), SDS mat on its own, with the Herbies mat ( supplied with MN Platter ), Herbies mat and SDS mat etc etc and so far the MN Platter plus Herbies helps give me the best VTA and sound quality, I'll try a Funk Firm Achromat if I can pick one up s/h and see if that improves anything.

Worthless without pics I hear you say, well here you go...........

Pic removed - update with better one later
    Last edited by mikeyb; 20-05-2017 at 12:26.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mike, was going to put a post up about this, try one of these, best mat I've yet tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROVEN-upg...kAAOSw-K9ZDimd
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Mike, was going to put a post up about this, try one of these, best mat I've yet tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROVEN-upg...kAAOSw-K9ZDimd
    I looked at those earlier today, but seeing as I already have trouble with static I discounted these as making my issue worse. I might try my SDS back on once I get a chance to go to 11

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Neil.

Glad it is working for you Mike and glad it arrived ok I personally think the Funk is the best match, but different system so your mileage may vary.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

These appear to work well too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272287988262

But check out Arcalian Discord that's used to remove static when printing, looks great but £250 for 10m. A certain HiFi company are making a gadget based on it as I write 😉

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hadn't come across that idea, worth a try.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Hadn't come across that idea, worth a try.
    I thought about a roll and then sell off bit by bit 😉

I'm inthescottishmafia.

LOL aye.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

I had a similar idea years ago. Using the graphite core from spark plug HT leads, mounted to just brush the edge of a record. Never got around to trying it though. Static was not a huge problem for me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast