+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    A Mike New Mk1 arrived yesterday and was fitted within a few minutes of breaking into the substantial packaging ��

Right away I noticed even more detail than before, I usually run my modded 1210 with the OEM platter, SDS Isoplatmat with the SDS thin mat on top of that.

I've been lucky because on each step of this upgrade journey I've noticed an obvious upgrade in sound quality. I had to readjust the VTA of the Zyx cartridge as the MN Platter is shallower than the OEM one, lowering the Mission 774 arm pillar to 0 on the mount is the max I can get obviously and it seems pretty good there, this makes arm wand sit about 1mm lower at the pivot end, the Zyx ( and I ) prefer this as it digs out a bit more bass without sacrificing detail.

I've tried various combinations of MN Platter with no mat, with SDS platter ( SDS mat on and off ), SDS mat on its own, with the Herbies mat ( supplied with MN Platter ), Herbies mat and SDS mat etc etc and so far the MN Platter plus Herbies helps give me the best VTA and sound quality, I'll try a Funk Firm Achromat if I can pick one up s/h and see if that improves anything.

Worthless without pics I hear you say, well here you go...........

Pic removed - update with better one later
    I have a MK1 platter as well and it appears that your running a similar set of mods to myself. I would seek out a Audio studio glass mat for use with your new MN platter. They cost ~£75 the last time I looked. I did a review here on AOS the Crystal Audio mat fended off at least 10 differing mats.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I have a MK1 platter as well and it appears that your running a similar set of mods to myself. I would seek out a Audio studio glass mat for use with your new MN platter. They cost ~£75 the last time I looked. I did a review here on AOS the Crystal Audio mat fended off at least 10 differing mats.
    Thanks, I have an issue with my setup just now and it is too detailed and open, no doubt site to too many clean and detailed bits in the chain. I really really want to change my speakers to something a bit warmer as I'm sure that's one of the main causes of the issue.

A tall ask as they can't be much bigger than my PMC 21's, but I'm so tempted just to buy a vintage set of kefs, spendors, IMF or the like and try them and hope the boss let's them stay once they're here lol.

I really wanted to try a set of Spendor S2/3R that came up for sale recently but postage was an issue so I missed out on them, not that they would be considered a similar size to the 21's ��

So I possibly have too much of a good thing with clean fast detail almost like I have the bare bones of something but no meat ��

And yet.... Some material sounds bloody brilliant, oh dear ........ ��
    Last edited by mikeyb; 20-05-2017 at 22:27.

I'm Andrew.

Hmmmm you might not want to try the mat I suggested if you like clean and fast detail as this will give you even more of the same.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Hmmmm you might not want to try the mat I suggested if you like clean and fast detail as this will give you even more of the same.
    Yeah I thought that once I read reviews. Thing is I'm pretty sure it's my speakers so I might have to have a few on demo which ain't easy as only a couple of shops near me.

I'm Mike.

Well booger me, I've fixed my lack of meat issue 😱

No idea how this happened but I swapped a speaker cable from red to black and BOOM ! or should I say THUMP, everything was back as it should be, bloody strange 🤔

Now I'm rocking again 😊

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Seems you were out of phase somewhere.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

I had one mono out of phase recently and it took me a while to decide what it was. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Seems you were out of phase somewhere.
    Aye, can't understand how, but it's all better now, still want other speakers though lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12