+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Digital Stylus Tracking Force Gauge

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I have an ancient Colton "Variscale" analogue one which is very nice and works great. I wouldn't trust a digital one.
    I have an 'analogue', purely mechanical stylus balance - a Transcriptors/Mitchell device. Not easy to use, but very accurate and doesn't need batteries. The only limitation is the maximum VTF it can check is 2.65g. Some of my cartridges need a VTF of 3g.
    Barry

I'm Russell.

A digital scale made for weighing phono needles sure makes life easy. Reasonable accuracy and big backlit numbers to give us dependable readings. Working with those tiny mechanical beam scales of the past was tedious work. But, once I've gotten a good reading on the scale, I tend to look at the needle in the groove. With a magnifying lens. I may increase or decrease the weight to get the angle I want. I've heard different numbers on stylus angles, 92 degrees seems like I read that in the paperwork that came with my Sumiko? So, I measure it once I get it where I like it, and try to keep that as my reference.

I've often wondered why phono cartridge makers give such a margin of VTF? Why 1.7 to 2.3? Why not just spell it out and give me an exact weight? Well the short answer is compliance. As the suspension on the cantilever wears, it probably takes less weight to get the diamond into the proper position. Over the life of the cartridge the VTF will change. I've heard many who get to the recommended VTF and then adjust by ear, also a solid method, but I am thinking that when it sounds best, is when the diamond is at the correct angle in the groove. If that is the recommended angle or not? Depends on the maker. I'm guessing it will be close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Graham.

I have the one shown in the link,usually set up with it and double check with the Shure,as previously mentioned,they eat batteries,so remove them when not in use.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345