+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should You be Seeking Better Sound or Better Enjoyment?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I guess that can be true.

In my case I have a lot of 'stuff' (Hi-Fi), but tend to have one system that is settled and has been to an extent for years. And I'm happy and satisfied with it. The point I'm making, is that what I have now, which sounds damn good, brings no more pleasure than my first system did .
    My first hifi system consisted of a Garrard 301, Decca blue, Croft Micro, Leak stereo 20, b&W speakers.

The sound of this system has been a benchmark I have tried to recreate 30 years on,however I have slightly exceeded what I had then only because I have more knowledge especially regarding system set up.

Essentially they sound the same and I am more than happy with my current set up and do not seek better sound. As it stands it gives me huge enjoyment and a thirst for more music which is really what it should all be about.

Not a thirst for more boxes.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Hi Rob. I remember hearing a modest little pair of Mission 780SE speakers at your place sounding amazingly good. One of my fav small speakers. There was something 'right' about those! Should have kept mine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Yes Geoff, I sold those too....Doh!

I have been using the refurbed Heybrook HB3's for some time and I really like what they do.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Clive.

My view is that each of us have a tonal quality of sound we prefer that is unique to us individually. We will migrate via swapping of components to a system that provides us with that quality of sound.

However our hearing particularly with regard to high frequencies does tend to diminish with time so what may have sounded good years ago may not be so good for us now.

The components that most impact tonal quality are speakers and their positioning or for vinyl the cartridge and arm setup and phono stage settings. There is more flexibility to subtly change tonal quality with vinyl systems than with CD systems.

The upgrade route for other parts of the chain tends to provide components that will provide better definition rather than change of tonal quality though there are exceptions.

I have had periods where I have had a system that I really enjoy and I know that is the case when I use it a lot and don't have a desire to tweak anything. I have also had one lengthy period where I got totally fed up with the system and rarely bothered to listen to it.
    Last edited by cre009; 20-05-2017 at 12:25.

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Is the constant search for improvement in sound really a sign of dissatisfaction? We all know that nothing is perfect, so are we chasing up a blind alley by seeking better sound?
    I think so.. there is a clear line between Good enjoy the muzak sounds and striving for a sound to rule all others :-)
    Illusory and IMO self defeating in my experiences.
    Half of MY recordings are rendered to Shite sound qualities with my 'Big Rig'.
    Yet sound Just Fine / pleasing on my in study setup.
    Guess which gets most use?
    Maybe there is wisdom with age, or perhaps that what's been in our faces for so long finally gets noticed ??

NOTE though: in My observations a Lot (most?)of Audio weenie aspirations are just that.. Aspirations.. typically status driven.
    Nawww.. that can't be true .. can it?

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Not sure if this is a bit out there but my first memory of hifi really getting my attention for the first time was in a room full of smoke many many years ago (79) !! So perhaps it wasn't the music or system but I remember thinking WOW !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha ! That rings a bell with me when I walked into this room many years ago and Devo were playing "I can't get no satisfaction" quite loudly on some very nice equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbNiDk-WvY

I'm Mike.

My viewpoint is a little different.

When I started out it was all about the music and creating a system that played that music in a way I liked. Lack of experience led me to buy ever more expensive kit, believing that the more I paid the better the result would be.

As I climbed the hi-fi tree (in terms of value), I often found myself listening to / analysing the kit as opposed to enjoying the music and the associated expectation bias often left me feeling a bit disappointed with my new piece of kit.

Many years later and a wealth of experience (knowing the sound I like and how to create it) has meant that I can create a system to play music in a way I like, with the emphasis on the music and not the equipment. The value of the kit has dropped massively but the enjoyment of music has increased reciprocally, partly due to lack of expectation bias but mainly due to being happy with what I have and knowing that the grass isn't always greener.

Now, instead of blowing money on hi-fi, I invest it in music. I'm in a great place musically.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Neil.

I spent a lot of time and money looking for better sound, and it took me a long time to get back to better enjoyment. It's easy to go too far so you're in the habit of analysing the HiFi rather than listening to music. Am pleased I've made no major system changes in years now.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

As the man said, I started by buying a Hi-Fi for better quality sound. That was back in 1979. I am currently in my best ever place sonically. This is where I intend to stay for some considerable time. My biggest dilemma these days is whether to buy vinyl and twenty odd quid a throw or buy CD's at a tenner...? No contest really I guess.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

As I've moved up the hi-fi ladder I've found the constraints of recorded media to be a disappointment - the point about the better the system the more that it reveals flaws, particularly CDs issued since the mid 90s.

I'm still in it for the music more than anything else so for me it has to be seeking better enjoyment. I sometimes listen to "recordings of independent origin" and both my systems utterly destroy them, whereas in the kitchen on the Walkman via the SoundLink - yes, the work of the devil - they really cook (bad pun intended).

Since using a Rock in the main rig I'm probably at my most contented now for playing records since my first system nearly 40 years ago. I think I've got the better sound / better enjoyment balance right there.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast