+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should You be Seeking Better Sound or Better Enjoyment?

I'm Geoff.

Default Should You be Seeking Better Sound or Better Enjoyment?

A thought crossed my mind. What was the most satisfaction I'd had from my Hi-Fi?

I think back to my first 'proper' Hi-Fi system, bought around 1972 and I was over the moon with it at the time.

It was a record playing system only, all bought new and comprised of a Thorens TD150 turntable with a Decca International arm and cartridges were a choice of Decca London Blue or ADC 10E Mk.IV. Amplifier was a Rotel RA-611 (settled on after a couple of disappointing Ferrograph F307's) and this drove a pair of Tannoy IIILZ speakers.

I kept this setup for quite a few years and drew great pleasure from it and don't think anything that has followed has improved on the level of enjoyment it gave me.

Is the constant search for improvement in sound really a sign of dissatisfaction? We all know that nothing is perfect, so are we chasing up a blind alley by seeking better sound?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Not sure if this is a bit out there but my first memory of hifi really getting my attention for the first time was in a room full of smoke many many years ago (79) !! So perhaps it wasn't the music or system but I remember thinking WOW !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Not sure if this is a bit out there but my first memory of hifi really getting my attention for the first time was in a room full of smoke many many years ago (79) !! So perhaps it wasn't the music or system but I remember thinking WOW !!!
    I had a similar experience maybe 1970. A friend bought A Garrard AP76 with a Shure cartridge, a Sansui AU-101 and a pair of whopping Goodmans Magister speakers.

I thought it sounded incredible. I'd never heard any Hi-Fi at all until that time and what really got me, was realising that clear treble and deep bass actually existed. I was hooked from that day on!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Loz.

Maybe the dissatisfaction comes from having too much 'Stuff' Geoff!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

I'm Grant.

indeed, I think its true. More you have the more choice and your more inclined to be dissatisfied. always enjoyed records more when i had less of them. cds too, so sure it can be extended to equipment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Maybe the dissatisfaction comes from having too much 'Stuff' Geoff!
    I guess that can be true.

In my case I have a lot of 'stuff' (Hi-Fi), but tend to have one system that is settled and has been to an extent for years. And I'm happy and satisfied with it. The point I'm making, is that what I have now, which sounds damn good, brings no more pleasure than my first system did .

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I guess that can be true.

In my case I have a lot of 'stuff' (Hi-Fi), but tend to have one system that is settled and has been to an extent for years. And I'm happy and satisfied with it. The point I'm making, is that what I have now, which sounds damn good, brings no more pleasure than my first system did .
    Ah, I see your point Geoff. My comment was really just a generalisation about our/societies desire, no doubt largely driven by market forces, to acquire the next best thing which can often lead to a sense of dissatisfaction and an accumulation of 'stuff'. But George Carlin says it much better than I possibly could. Maybe you are on to something if your are as happy with your system now as you were back then.

Cheers

Loz

I'm Geoff.

I'm considering a 'back to basics' setup actually. I don't play records as much as I used to and may scale back the vinyl playing side of things to something basic, but good sounding. More compact and simpler amplification could be on the cards too. I'm planning to base the system around CD for now, as I have nearly all the music I want in that format and much is needlessly duplicated on vinyl. Single driver, full range speakers appeal as well. I may eventually get involved with streaming, but feel no real need.

I'm Kevin.

I think it depends on why you have a hi-fi. If you use it to listen to music you'll be happy as long as it sounds good. If you are more interested in the hi-fi itself you may never be satisfied as there will always be something better coming along.

I'm Rob.

I the last few years as I have entered semi-retirement my hifi is used to play music on and not as a vehicle to distract me from the arse-ache that was the day job. I had to have something to concentrate on and use as a diversion for my brain/mind (Oh.... and lots of alcohol as well!) If I spent my leisure time searching for better sound then I was engrossed in something that I really wanted to do. It is only now that I have started to do the stuff that I amassed at the time and never got around to building. However, my system has never sounded so good.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast