+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should You be Seeking Better Sound or Better Enjoyment?

I'm Geoff.

My basic point was that the 'WOW factor' is at it's most with the first proper sound system one assembles. And that progressing up the upgrade ladder never brings quite the same again. Sure there are revelatory moments when a truly special bit of equipment makes its presence felt. But is the enjoyment of the system and music any greater than it was at the beginning of the journey? Somehow, I think not.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

I think I still retain a large part of my boyish enthusiasm.
    And I am certainly getting more out of music - education and experience is a large part of that, but so are ongoing improvements to my audio system which allow me to hear more of the the music and its inner and outer complexities and also, of course, what the musicians are doing, how they are playing and interacting with each other and the space in which they are performing.
    So yes, my enjoyment is greater. Sorry.

I'm Grant.

Inclined to feel you can overdo the listening experience to point where the music is secondary. Dont get me wrong, we all want it to sound the best it can but at same time there is a time to just say; stuff it, I got into this to listen to music. Thats where I am.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Inclined to feel you can overdo the listening experience to point where the music is secondary. Dont get me wrong, we all want it to sound the best it can but at same time there is a time to just say; stuff it, I got into this to listen to music. Thats where I am.
    This is dead right!
    IB

I'm Russell.

To me, it's more a case of, "Peanut Butter and Jelly are great until you taste Steak.". My first system I put together when I was only 13 years old, A Technics receiver for Christmas. Some used speakers. And a BIC turntable I bought with my own money. While I was a teenager I upgraded the speakers and turntable, and it was a very nice system! Big cassette deck, and record player and tuner, all the main sources of the day. And I kept that system until many years after I was married! And we partied and played a million records, and enjoyed it to no end. Everyone loved it! And friends came just to spin records at my house.

But I went to the salon and saw better systems! And I heard amazing things, grand pianos and saxophones right in the middle of the room! And I have been chasing that sound ever since. And even to this day I have never reached that level, I am closer than I have ever been, and my present system is most satisfying. Just last night a lady friend stopped by and we drank beer and spun records into the wee hours, and we enjoyed the music.

But perhaps if I had never heard anything better than my first system, I would still own it and still think it was as great as I did back then?

I'm gone.

I think it's called growing up.
    As the years pass, as well as getting wrinkles you also get more sophisticated and knowledgeable about things.
    What was Great then would now be What the hell was I thinking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234