+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Customer service - the Achilles heel of manufacturers

I'm Adrian.

Default Customer service - the Achilles heel of manufacturers

So 3 times now I've emailed a certain American loudspeaker manufacturer asking if they can ship direct to me in Spain as there is no dealership here - and received nothing in reply. They're not a big outfit but surely a simple acknowledgement isn't too much to ask?

This is in stark contrast to British manufacturers such as Townsend or DNM whose founders have typically responded the same day on numerous occasions and even called me personally.

I've learnt that some makers such as Allaerts are genuinely overwhelmed and take a long time to respond. But generally they do.

I hate ignorance - and no matter how much I might want a certain product I'm not going to buy it if the maker can't be arsed to get in touch -when a sale is in the offing - and most probably when things go wrong!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    So 3 times now I've emailed a certain American loudspeaker manufacturer asking if they can ship direct to me in Spain as there is no dealership here - and received nothing in reply. They're not a big outfit but surely a simple acknowledgement isn't too much to ask?

This is in stark contrast to British manufacturers such as Townsend or DNM whose founders have typically responded the same day on numerous occasions and even called me personally.

I've learnt that some makers such as Allaerts are genuinely overwhelmed and take a long time to respond. But generally they do.

I hate ignorance - and no matter how much I might want a certain product I'm not going to buy it if the maker can't be arsed to get in touch -when a sale is in the offing - and most probably when things go wrong!
    Had the same issues with Teac ( Panasonic)
    Not even a reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

I feel the same way. How hard is it to answer an email? Or return a phone call? It must be nice to have so much business that you can treat people like that and not care. I have a growing list of companies that have rubbed me the wrong way. I would elaborate but that would take a book to list them all!

But I did email Legacy about my speakers malfunctioning. I even told them I was not the original owner and they were not under warranty. They emailed me back and said that a tech would get to me soon. And within a week the head of the service department told me how to fix the problem myself! And offered their services if it required extra attention. I've got to say I was impressed by their service and attention. They are smart enough to know that word of mouth is the best advertising and repeat customers count for a lot of business.

But there are more speaker makers in the world than stars at night Adrian, I'm sure you can find a company that would appreciate your business. Be sure to write the other company and tell them how they lost your business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

I guess the American company feels America is a big enough market in itself - but many many other companies have thought that way and are nolonger with us. Idiocy and ignorance.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Martin.

Name and shame, Adrian
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Having spoken with someone who knows the company better than myself it seems that there might be a good reason for the the delay....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I guess the American company feels America is a big enough market in itself - but many many other companies have thought that way and are nolonger with us. Idiocy and ignorance.
    Nope, not necessarily the case. You say there are no dealerships near you but are there, is there a European distributor or distributor in a country close to you ? If so to ship to you would break that agreement they have with that distributor, as selling direct is a big no no in the audio game, if such agreements exist. Also distributors selling direct to customers, by passing their retailer base is also a big no no. I know of several UK distributors who do this regularly. If I ran a shop I would not stock their ranges to be bypassed by them, particularly as one would be required to invest heavily in demo stock to be one of their dealers. I won't say who, so please don't ask.

I agree that no reply is rude, even if it was to say the above and point you to a distributor close to you. My advise if you want these contact a distributor (often these days a retailer as well) in Spain if there is one, if not then a retailer/distributor in a nearby country. Being honest shipping within Europe would be cheaper and safer.

What was the brand and model ?
    Regards Neil

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

In an effort to balance this slightly and show a bit of appreciation I can cite that I've had most excellent customer service from the following manufacturers!

NJC Audio - a head phone amp repair, great service at low cost.

RFC - purchasing a set of Tannoy xovers made by Paul, plus lots of freely given advice on my (slow!) Tannoy DIY project with tips etc.

Firebottle - Purchase and subsequent upgrade of an OTP phono amp when it was discovered not to be quite up to scratch.

Thanks to all the above!

+ Reply to Thread