+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon Quality control?

I'm Tony.

Default Ortofon Quality control?

Has anyone got any recent experience of Ortofon MC's?

I picked one up yesterday, a Quintet Bronze and as soon as I took it out of the box I could see the cantilever was leaning to the left.

I took it back to the dealer who agreed to send it back to Henley Designs for replacement.

I'm just concerned that I may end up with another dud!

Anyway, I plan to open the next one in the store...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm James.

Yep had a poor quality 2M black recently but Ortofon did replace it after 4 weeks!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

You will be entitled to a refund if the next is bad, as you were with the first one.

Michael Fremer once wrote an article about cantilever alignment and the poor QC he was seeing in many companies cartridges. I have looked for it but haven't been able to find it again.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 19-05-2017 at 14:38.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

I often wonder whether shops - highstreet and online just sell used ones.

I'm Robert.

Ortofon shift silly amounts of units so my thinking is there'll be the odd one..I've had at least 5 different Ortofon's, never had a dud
    There customer service is good I'm led to believe

I'm Clive.

I had the same problem with a Cadenza Bronze. Henley Designs replaced without issue. I've since moved the Bronze on and replaced with a Cadenza Black.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Tony.

Just a quick update,

Henley Design replaced without a quibble.

New one looks perfect, just need to mount it now
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Alan.

I had an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and it would not track the grooves because the tip was burried in a blob of glue
    Ortofon replaced it and the new one was fine

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread