+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tuner ?? Advice needed please guys .

I'm Nigel.

The Beomaster 5000 was a FM only tuner from the late sixties. I believe the BBC used them as a reference tuner and Adam aka Beobloke from this very forum also has one.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    I can't find anything on a Beomaster 5000 tuner ? Only receivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    I know what I would do !

Save your pennies, the Dynalab is like listening true high end Vinyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You'll have me obsessing over one won't you ??
    Lol
    Looks like the Kefs 105/4's will have to go after all .

I'm Phil.

I have had magnum dynalab in the past but just love the holographic sound of my bel canto fm1

pretty rare though but been using for a long time and its superb
    http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...one-fm1-tuner/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    I have had magnum dynalab in the past but just love the holographic sound of my bel canto fm1

pretty rare though but been using for a long time and its superb
    http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...one-fm1-tuner/
    Mmmm I like that

I'm Peter.

I am sorry, sometimes a bit obsessive about stuff, especially the Dynalab.

My main speakers are Kef 105/3s .... I would never let them go !!!!!

I also advise you not to let the 105/4's go either...... you will live to regret it

I know..... been there, done that...... and lived in regret.

For two hoots, I would buy your 105/4s but just don't have the room...KEEP EM!!!!!

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Cheers Peter . Everyone says keep em .
    Just seems a shame to have them sit there redundant.

I'm Neil.

Sadly everyone will chip in with their fave, but not having heard all the options can't really offer more than that.

I took it upon myself a number of years back to see if the Tuner Information Centre (http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/) results applied to the UK, and for the most part they did. I wasn't prepared to pay the crazy money for the top ones but got close and the Audiolab 8000T was one I did get.

Their results are here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html

They rank the Audiolab as 6th behind these :'C- Accuphase T-109V - Very natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound, smooth extended highs.
    1 (TIE): -C- Kenwood L-02T - Most natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound.
    1 (TIE): -C- Burmester 978 - Natural, open and airy sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound with nice extended highs.
    4: -C- Sansui TU-919 - The prince who could be king.
    5: -C- Sansui TU-X1 - Very good sound top to bottom. Big soundstage, three-dimensional. Very slight diffuse sound.'

I personally would not rate the Audiolab before the Revox B760 and I think for the very small amount these sell for the Kenwood 5020 or 7020 are really the bargains out there. Boring and plain, but stunning.

While I haven't heard all the tuners on that list I have heard enough to feel the rankings are probably a very good guide. Frankly the top 5 usually sell for around £800 to over £1500 depending on where you see them Ebay Germany often has examples.

You will need a very good aerial to unlock what any of these tuners can do.

The 8000T I have has a some what scuffed top and the LED display is dim on one side, but it does work well. I could maybe be persuaded to sell it. I have the box and I think the instructions. The Kenwoods, nope over my cold dead body.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Sadly everyone will chip in with their fave, but not having heard all the options can't really offer more than that.

I took it upon myself a number of years back to see if the Tuner Information Centre (http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/) results applied to the UK, and for the most part they did. I wasn't prepared to pay the crazy money for the top ones but got close and the Audiolab 8000T was one I did get.

Their results are here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html

They rank the Audiolab as 6th behind these :'C- Accuphase T-109V - Very natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound, smooth extended highs.
    1 (TIE): -C- Kenwood L-02T - Most natural sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound.
    1 (TIE): -C- Burmester 978 - Natural, open and airy sound, good bass. Pinpoint imaging. Lifelike, three-dimensional sound with nice extended highs.
    4: -C- Sansui TU-919 - The prince who could be king.
    5: -C- Sansui TU-X1 - Very good sound top to bottom. Big soundstage, three-dimensional. Very slight diffuse sound.'

I personally would not rate the Audiolab before the Revox B760 and I think for the very small amount these sell for the Kenwood 5020 or 7020 are really the bargains out there. Boring and plain, but stunning.

While I haven't heard all the tuners on that list I have heard enough to feel the rankings are probably a very good guide. Frankly the top 5 usually sell for around £800 to over £1500 depending on where you see them Ebay Germany often has examples.
    Thanks for that info . I have the Kenwood 5020 but imo the Yamaha t700 outshines it .

I'm Neil.

Thanks for that info . I have the Kenwood 5020 but imo the Yamaha t700 outshines it .

Fair enough. Not heard the Yamaha, so can offer no comment. The Kenwood however in my set ups bests the other 25 tuners I have including the Leak Troughline + Tim De stereo decoder.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adam.

I can't find anything on a Beomaster 5000 tuner ? Only receivers

Link here: https://beocentral.com/beomaster5000-1960s

The best tuner I've heard by a country mile, and the Aiwa AT-9700 that preceded it was no slouch!

Mine came from the BBC. It was used in Broadcasting House to monitor the quality of transmissions.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast