+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Digital audio vs vinyl

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I jut recall reading somewhere a discussion on whether extended or limited bandwidth (in a power amp) was the best approach for SQ and it was nothing to do with there being any musical content at those frequencies that needed transmitting.
    Ah! That's a much bigger question than you probably realise and the answer would take pages, be full of ifs and buts and put most readers to sleep...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Ah! That's a much bigger question than you probably realise and the answer would take pages, be full of ifs and buts and put most readers to sleep...
    And I wouldn't understand it anyway. My point is at no point is the amp designer thinking 'Well, if I band-limit then people won't be able to hear all of the air and space around 1st violin'.

Or is he?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

In the early 70s as a broadcasting engineer, one of the seniors stated that someone had written a treatise on the precise frequency response profile that an audio amp should have.

I cannot remember the precise nature of it, but it was along the lines of being flat to about 50k and then sloping off at so many dB per octave, and then being flat again etc. It was very precisely detailed, and seemed odd at the time.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And I wouldn't understand it anyway. My point is at no point is the amp designer thinking 'Well, if I band-limit then people won't be able to hear all of the air and space around 1st violin'.

Or is he?
    Some may but very unlikely generally... Naim stuff is very bandwidth limited for example...

The whole matter of bandwidth and negative feedback (they are intrinsically linked) and the implications of it, the reasons for it, its effect on stability, squarewave response, step response, settling time, changing the predominance of odd/even distortion harmonics etc etc is one of the most important issues in hi fi and has HUGE effect on the sound we hear even at low frequencies.... It would therefore be of zero interest to audiophiles

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Extend the bandwidth to 250kHz and you can have a free AM tuner to listen to Radio 4 on long wave.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Extend the bandwidth to 250kHz and you can have a free AM tuner to listen to Radio 4 on long wave.
    Only if it demodulates the AM.... Often more likely in reduced bandwidth designs. Now as an AM transmitter....

Only if it demodulates the AM.... Often more likely in reduced bandwidth designs. Now as an AM transmitter....
    I would have thought the first semiconductor junction would do that.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I would have thought the first semiconductor junction would do that.
    As an RF EE yourself you will be well aware that it depends on many factors!

As an RF EE yourself you will be well aware that it depends on many factors!
    I wasn't being entirely serious, was thinking about the crystal set I had as a child. Yes - a tuned circuit would help.
    Barry

RothwellAudio Guest

I made a power amp a few years ago which had a very poor bandwidth compared to what is possible - but it sounded fantastic! Unfortunately, it had a tendency to blow up
    I've been meaning to revisit that project but haven't got round to it.
    Anyway, the point is this: restricted bandwidth (though still beyond 20kHz) certainly didn't seem to have a negative impact on sound quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast