+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Thread: Digital audio vs vinyl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 2,999
    I'm James.

    Default Digital audio vs vinyl

    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...rs-new-server/

    I must admit I agree with most of this article as I think it honestly compares the merits of both. I feel the final conclusion to be true but I am not so stuck in the vinyl camp as I was as I have heard a system that made me feel there could be room for digital in my life if only I had the cash.

    From what I have heard the lines between excellent analog and state of the art digital are blurred even more.
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

  2. #2
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 34,559
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Many ways of skinning a cat but I'd agree that Digital is approaching Vinyl now, even for the poorer of us as Technology improves.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95SA Shibata, SHURE N55 SAS, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

  3. #3
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,728
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Many ways of skinning a cat but I'd agree that Digital is approaching Vinyl now, even for the poorer of us as Technology improves.
    The main reason people have abandoned vinyl is not digital technology, but the convenience of portability. That exodus started happening in the 1970s (I bought my first walkman in 1979).

    As in everything else, ignorance is bliss. If you don't know any better, you may work diligently on building your state-of-the-art digital sound system. You may end up mighty pleased with how it sounds, and your friends may also get blown away by your system.

    However, all it takes is a single exposure to a really good record playing system to dispel the dogmatic haze that's building around the digital sound reproduction kingdom. Listeners with sensitive, even average ears, will immediately notice that something is fundamentally different with analog playback. And most people will be forced to conclude that state-of-the-art vinyl is incredibly seductive.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 34,559
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    The main reason people have abandoned vinyl is not digital technology, but the convenience of portability. That exodus started happening in the 1970s (I bought my first walkman in 1979).

    As in everything else, ignorance is bliss. If you don't know any better, you may work diligently on building your state-of-the-art digital sound system. You may end up mighty pleased with how it sounds, and your friends may also get blown away by your system.

    However, all it takes is a single exposure to a really good record playing system to dispel the dogmatic haze that's building around the digital sound reproduction kingdom. Listeners with sensitive, even average ears, will immediately notice that something is fundamentally different with analog playback. And most people will be forced to conclude that state-of-the-art vinyl is incredibly seductive.
    Dont think i am ignorant of the sonic abilities of vinyl.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95SA Shibata, SHURE N55 SAS, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 70,706
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    However, all it takes is a single exposure to a really good record playing system to dispel the dogmatic haze that's building around the digital sound reproduction kingdom. Listeners with sensitive, even average ears, will immediately notice that something is fundamentally different with analog playback. And most people will be forced to conclude that state-of-the-art vinyl is incredibly seductive.
    I would agree 100% with that, but coupled with the fact that most will never have heard what digital sound is *truly* capable of [haven't owned equipment able to reveal its full potential], and so in some ways limits their ability to judge just how much better vinyl is in comparison.

    Trust me, that last bit is crucial to the whole concept of 'digital audio vs. vinyl'

    Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

    "Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

    My system:

    Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

  6. #6
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,728
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would agree 100% with that, but coupled with the fact that most will never have heard what digital sound is *truly* capable of [haven't owned equipment able to reveal its full potential], and so in some ways limits their ability to judge just how much better vinyl is in comparison.

    Trust me, that last bit is crucial to the whole concept of 'digital audio vs. vinyl'

    Marco.
    Are you referring to the 'excellent digital reproduction only underlines the digital nature of the signal'?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 70,706
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Not quite sure what you mean, sorry...

    Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

    "Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

    My system:

    Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

  8. #8
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,728
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...rs-new-server/

    I must admit I agree with most of this article as I think it honestly compares the merits of both. I feel the final conclusion to be true but I am not so stuck in the vinyl camp as I was as I have heard a system that made me feel there could be room for digital in my life if only I had the cash.

    From what I have heard the lines between excellent analog and state of the art digital are blurred even more.
    I would agree that digital can approximate the sound quality of vinyl, but under one proviso: that we're comparing digital playback to the LP that hasn't been properly washed and vacuumed. But as soon as the LP gets properly cleaned, forget it!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 17,119
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    The problem with the article is that the author clearly does not have a even a basic understanding of how digital audio works. So whilst his observations may be true his conclusion as to the reason for those observations is wildly incorrect.

    As one of the commentators on the article points out:

    One side note, your argument that "you simply cannot “sample” the continuous-time sound of instruments or vocalists, turn it into discrete-time numbers, and then turn those discrete-time numbers back into instruments or vocalists without losing some of the very continuousness of presentation" is false. It's really, really easy to prove this with some basic math and an oscilloscope
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  10. #10
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Warrington

    Posts: 2,373
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    The real revelation for me was converting to a media server and Halide Bridge, which offers me an incredibly low 10ps jitter with my 44.1kHz files. CD transports tend to be 100s of ps or even ns levels of jitter. My DAC uses no reclocking, just a PLL, so responds well to low jitter. Let's just say my Audial Model S / Halide Bridge comfortably outperforms my vinyl setup in every way except for when the vinyl mastering is better, which it often can be.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •