+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital audio vs vinyl

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Hmmm... well, I am engrossed in this thread so I have spent the last three hours of my life listening to my system via CD and vinyl.

Software: Shedding Skin by Ghostpoet, CD and vinyl

I am very aware that these two copies could well have been mixed and mastered differently but in my system, here is what I found.

The CD playback was similar to a Sergeant Major inches from your nose shouting out orders. It was very upfront and aggressive/dynamic. The bass was extremely propulsive, tight and forceful. I found the whole sound was tight to the point of sounding robotic. Stereo image was stunning with the right material. Stereo depth was OK.

Vinyl playback was massively different with huge stereo depth way back behind the loudspeakers. The whole sound was altogether softer and a lot more palatable. The bass was also softer and more rounded. Altogether the sound was a lot more 'organic' whatever that means but it seems to be a good word to describe what I was hearing. The sound was way more realistic. I found that the 3D stereo effect was not as great as it was from CD with sounds appearing 180 degrees either side of my ears with CD but not with vinyl.

So, I prefer the gentle nature of my vinyl system but really prefer the stereo imaging from CD. Fortunately I do not really have to make a decision one way or the other. I have both and I am keeping both.
    Nice description. Let me try and share my impressions:

Listened to John McLaughlin's "Extrapolation" in Red book and vinyl format. Redbook first (AIFF rip of the official CD):

Clean, polite presentation. The cymbals are clear, and somewhat cut-out of the sonic picture (almost like a collage). All the notes the quartet is playing are clearly distinguishable. Nothing stands out as being remarkable. Overall impression -- clinically clean.

Now impressions listening to the 45 years old original Marmalade/Polydor pressing:

Whoa! The bass leaps out of the left speaker. Super impolite! McLaughlin's guitar in the right channel sounds angry, dissatisfied with something. The cymbals are searing, fully immersed in the soundscape (possibly a bit less clear, less etched in space than on the digital playback). Surman's baritone sax enters like a heavy weight world boxing champion.

Verdict: vinyl playback is almost too much. Brash, unapologetic, with a lot, and I mean a lot of garlic on it. Digital playback in comparison feels sheepish, almost timid. Overall, vinyl is much more engaging, and feels more faithful to the actual event recorded that day.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Neil.

Yes guys this is what I refer to as the dynamic contrast and 3D soundstage that good vinyl brings. Digital filtering can squash the sound flat not to mention make things harsh, not just at the playback end but also at the recording and production end. Digitally remastered vinyl pressings seem to suffer too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This isn't really correct, any transfer of digital info can create jitter, it isn't confined to CD transports or players. The good news is that it is completely inaudible. If you don't believe this consider that a turntable, even the best turntable, has jitter (aka wow & flutter) at much higher levels (several orders of magnitude) than the worst of digital, and you can't hear that either.
    Sorry mate, but in my experience that simply isn't true.

When I was having the Sony(s) modified, Mark (from Audiocom) allowed me to listen to the effect at almost every step of the way [good job I had some suitable boxes for shipping them back and forth to him, lol], certainly after anything major had been carried out, such as re-clocking.

One thing he told me was that jitter was a major reason why digital replay can often sound 'hard' and unnatural, compared with analogue, and when I analysed the effect for myself (before and after mods), it was obvious what he was saying was right.

I'll see if I can get him to come on and explain things from a technical point of view, in terms of the work he did on the Sonys to address jitter, as Mark really knows his stuff

As for your point about turntables, certain phenomena can manifest themselves in different ways, so whether the effect of any one in isolation may not be audible, the knock on effect elsewhere often is. That's certainly the case with W&F, as T/Ts that (measurably) suffer significantly in that area, to my ears, never sound right, and tend to 'slur' bass lines, which also adversely affects pitch.

So even if you can't pin it down and say that wow and flutter is conclusively responsible for what you're hearing, it's a contributory factor for why T/Ts, which measure badly in that area, IME, never sound right, musically - and the same goes for high levels of jitter in CD players or transports.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Hi Marco, yeah I hear ya, thing is, I think I'd need to spend five figures (or at least high four figures) to get to that point with my vinyl, and as it's a secondary listening source I don't think it's a wise investment. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy using the turntable, but yeah concede that the investment has been made in digital.
    No worries, mate. I totally get that. I just think that the only way anyone can properly compare the capabilities of their digital and vinyl sources, is when there exists a level playing field, both in terms of financial expenditure, and simply how much time and effort has been spent by the owner, in terms of 'maxing them out'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Alan,

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I've personally heard the DAC part of it, from a file based system, and it is streets ahead of anything else digital I have heard, including your Sony.
    You really need to hear the Chord top of the line stuff, the advances made in the digital filtering (the software) are awesome. I only use that word when it is fitting.
    That's interesting, as I've always been on the lookout for a modern DAC that could compete with or outperform the Sony, not that I'd ever sell the latter as it has a unique sound of its own, but I'd value owning a modern high-end DAC in my system, simply to get a different 'take' on the music, as well as using it in conjunction with the RPi.

In that respect, I'd love to hear the Chord in question, but as ever in audio, I suspect that both the Sony and it would have their strengths and weaknesses, with neither outperforming the other overall in every area, as that rarely happens with two very capable pieces of kit

The thing for me with the Sony, as indeed Macca loves about his Technics, is the sheer weight and authority it has in the bass, which 'underpins' music with such palpable gravitas, thus making anything that benefits from a 'chunky' bass line, sound so lifelike and real.

So far, as there's always a trade off with any kit, I've never heard that effect, to the same degree, from any modern DAC, as they tend to major in 'rez', a little at the expense of 'fullness'. Note, however, I don't mean bass bloat, but rather the weight and authority I referred to earlier.

That really adds to the fun factor of the listening experience, and much of that effect, I now know from experience, is down to the sonic signature of the TDA 1541 chips, employed in the Sony DAC. It's a sound that, although other vintage players have in abundance, the way it manifests itself on the music, for me is unique to those DAC chips, when properly implemented, and indeed to multi-bit DACs in general.

In effect, they have a beautifully judged, very solid, 'analogue like' musical presentation, which is probably why there is little discrepancy, sonically, in my system between digital and vinyl sources.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post

What needs to be done is to extend the frequency response of CD, not just its dynamic range
    as is being done recently. Organizations like AES can start to examine what is needed to
    do this, and propose new standards to be introduced http://www.aes.org/

We then would start to see digital really moving forward,

Whilst a turntable cartridge and a phono amplifying stage and its connecting cable, are celebrated as analog
    along with reel to reels, in an electronics view a phono stage represents adjusting for correcting what is called RIAA
    So an understanding of RIAA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization shows that frequency is much higher
    in available bandwidth at the cutting lathe - up to 100Khz ( see eRIAA in the above link )

<Snip>

The available bandwidth of LP starts to give meaning to why analog might be preferred when done well.
    Those with a LP of Thelma Houston's Pressure Cooker know just what can be done with a analog
    direct to disc recording.
    Some good points there, Chris, which if technically correct, may indeed go some way to explaining why, despite its technical limitations, music reproduced on vinyl (when done well), to many ears, ultimately sounds more 'real' than digital.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    vinyl playback is almost too much. Brash, unapologetic, with a lot, and I mean a lot of garlic on it. Digital playback in comparison feels sheepish, almost timid. Overall, vinyl is much more engaging, and feels more faithful to the actual event recorded that day.
    Very interesting as my findings were the complete opposite. In my system the CD replay was completely over the top and in your face. There is nothing refined about my CD replay whereas with vinyl it is completely laid back and rounded.
    It is just so soothing to listen to.

Hi Alex,

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    You make a number of good points. In principle, I totally agree with you. But being of an inquisitive nature, I cannot help myself but continue to turn every stone along the pathway. So I don't want you to think that, just because I'm examining some of your statements, I'm disagreeing with you.

Here is an example I came up with that could possibly shed some light on the issue we're discussing: I am a big fan of Van Gogh's paintings, and I love to study them any time I get an opportunity. Of course, traveling the world to meet those canvases is expensive and exhausting. So we resort to books and visiting online exhibitions.

Now, I think we'll all agree that experiencing Van Gogh's paintings by looking at reproductions is not really going to give us the full appreciation. But it's a nice approximation. Various books offer reproductions of various quality, and it is what it is.

With the advent of digital technology, we can now visit Van Gogh's museum online, and select one of his paintings, and then zoom in to the magnificent details. I don't know if you've ever tried this, but the level of magnification is magnificent! I don't think that even in person, standing in front of one of his canvases, I'd be able to zero in on such fine details.

Still, despite the largely improved accuracy of the digitally magnified details of the canvas, the experience is less compellingly lifelike! true, in real life encounter with the canvas, I cannot experience such level of accuracy as I can when experiencing it via the digital simulacrum, but nevertheless it cannot get even close to the real life experience.

I think the same principle may apply to the differences between experiencing musical reproduction via digital system vs experiencing the same reproduction via vinyl playback.

What do you say?
    Well, for me it's simply because, in reality (out with of what's purported as being 'accurate'), what you're seeing in actuality, isn't, but rather as good as is currently possible for today's technology to produce. Therefore, no matter how convincingly lifelike a Van Gogh painting may appear on a computer screen, it's ultimately only a digitally created facsimile of the real thing; not actually the REAL THING itself...

In that respect, it's pretty obvious that what the naked human eye sees in real life, is infinitely more detailed and real than anything currently created and produced by man - and the same applies to our ears, which is why what we hear in audio, yet seemingly can't measure, I believe we mostly genuinely experience, even though it seemingly can't be proven, via any known means.

However, how that correlates with the 'digital vs. vinyl playback' debate is of course open to interpretation.

My view would be that, the ways in which many of us hear vinyl replay (at its best) as sounding more 'musically lifelike', compared with its digital counterpart, is simply down to the fact that, as already mentioned, much of what we can genuinely see and hear as humans, we haven't yet found a way of measuring, and thus proving that what we're seeing or hearing, in that respect, is real.

I'm convinced, however, that it is, and yes that applies to the superiority of vinyl playback, claimed by you and I (and many others), despite some of it technically not being backed up by measurements.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Very interesting as my findings were the complete opposite. In my system the CD replay was completely over the top and in your face. There is nothing refined about my CD replay whereas with vinyl it is completely laid back and rounded.
    It is just so soothing to listen to.
    Yes, but that could simply be down to the sonic limitations of your CD player, in comparison with those of your turntable, rather than said effect automatically being attributed to CD replay itself.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

barring the finer details which you often need high quality gear and ears to pick up, I find the mastering is all important to how each sounds. Why else would some recordings sound world class and others sound the pits
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast