+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celestion A1, anyone ?

I'm Ian.

Default Celestion A1, anyone ?

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone is using these speakers at the moment. I would like to hear our thoughts and opinions on their sound.

Cheers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Old memories, but big, smooth, rich toned, but in a positive way and well integrated through the frequency range. Good speaker range I remember and well worth a punt if the price is right
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

What Dave said. For a near mint pair I'd say around £150 was a reasonable price.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm lee.

Great speaker the A1 some folk look down on the A series but they were great.
    J.Wood intergrated, Electrocompaniet EMC1up, Snell Ci. Harmonic and Chord cables.

I'm Ian.

I have has a pair of these for the last 12 years. Love them to bits. They sound so full yet with some lovely detail. I find they can be driven quite hard but do need a fairly powerful amp to get the best from them.
    I often wonder what If and when I come to replace them, what the will it be. It sort of scares me to think I might not ne just as happy with their replacement.
    Anyway all running well for the moment, long may it continue as finding spares is pretty difficult.
    Cheers for the feedback.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If they're working right and suit the room they're in, why change. I mean ijn all seriousness, ALL loudspeakers have severe compromises somewhere in their makeup and/or are still the most distorting part of the reproduction chain. The models you have should be easily able to reproduce tweaks and improvements upstream. Please don't ever change for the sake of it, unless you have an iron will that way as Jerry does. I tend to get rather too attached to stuff, so I'm probably the last one to talk
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ian.

Hi Dave.

Think we all fall foul of thinking there is better out there and sometimes jump to change only to find we were wrong.
    I bought a Brio R which initially sounded very good with plenty of detail. Only problem was it just didn't have enough power for the Celestions and gave me the impression at times of lacking scale, particularly in the bass department.
    Ended up back with my Audiolabs bi-amping again. Less detail but far more scale to the sound.
    Now I am wondering what the new 100w Elicit R will be like !!!. We will see.

I'm Martin.

They need current rather than power. I tried a lot of amps with my A2, which has the same drivers but is a floorstander with an additional driver for bass. A lot of them couldn't cut it. The drivers were all developed in house at Celestion back when they were still in the UK and the A series was designed around them. There can be potential issue with them as being prone to voice coil rub but I have had no issues in 10 years with mine.

Hi Fi world tested the A2 with a 25w KT5881 valve amp and had no issues (good traffos in it probably). The only weak points I think with the A series is the tweeter, which is good but not great, and the need for a amps with 'grunt'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, the WAD kits generally had good trannies.

I'm Dan.

Pair of Celestion Compact A's being delivered shortly - facebook ad over a month old...

Quick PM and their mine - surprisingly
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast