+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Media Streaming Options

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    Presumably there is no direct way to attach the hard drive with media on it to the RPI? Thereby doing away with the NAS and network switch.
    sure you can and many do. it has 4 usb slots on it. Thats how I connect mine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Presumably there is no direct way to attach the hard drive with media on it to the RPI? Thereby doing away with the NAS and network switch.
    Absolutely there is, but I prefer to use my NAS, as I have RAID backup etc. and my FLAC library also available for my laptops and PC...

You can choose either a local USB mount point, or a network NAS one...I did a head to head speed test between a local USB HD and my NAS (both pi and NAS on ethernet), with the same flac library on each, the local HD was only about 10% quicker, so I've stuck with the NAS
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

I now use a usb drive with my pi, I use to get terrible problems with WiFi when using my NAS.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    AS Chris states, plus a few other suggestions...

1. Use dbPoweramp to rip, its tagging, artwork, and accurate rip capabilities are much better than EAC...

2. You can easily 'beef up' LMS performance by installing piCoreplayer/LMS on a Rpi3, then point it at your NAS music library...my pi3 did a complete new index build of 3k flac cds in under 30 mins, and a new music rescan in under 3 mins, faster than when I ran LMS on my NAS.

3. Use a smartphone app to control it all, my preference is 'Orange Squeeze' but there are plenty of options

4. Staying with an open source architecture future proofs you, and allows you the flexibility of Rpi/DIY clients and players too...LMS now has end point for Chromecast Audio
    +1 This is pretty much my set-up. You could also consider replacing the NAS with a local USB drive connected to the RPI or (if your budget will stretch to it) a 1 TB SSD.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

danilo Guest

digression; Only other person I've known who uses the name Alp. He's of claimed Turkish origins, yet a blue eyed Arian (germanic variety of Yore) in appearance.
    Gotta be a back story in that I would imagine. Just never ever seen that name elsewhere.. previously.

I'm Neil.

Mini ITX motherboard with a SoC built in like the Gigabyte J1800N, Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W ATX PSU, 8GB RAM, SSD, SATA or USB CD drive, and a nice case. I use Windows 10 on mine.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm jp.

Thank you all for your input.

I haven't quite decided what to do yet but I'm erring toward a USB Ssd directly attached to the sbt and connecting it directly to the main wifi network as a first step. Having fired the damn thing up for the first time in 18 months I've realised another of my main issues was that I could never get an iPad or phone to easily connect to the network that way and navigation was painful via the remote.

Second phase I think will be to look at building / reconfiguring the old htpc as a vortexbox as that will solve the ripping issue and may prove to be long term solution to all but we will see, it may just end up being a dead end but we will see. I'm a little bit stuck on how to output a digital audio signal from a vortexbox via coax as it seems they are all USB only to dac?

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    digression; Only other person I've known who uses the name Alp. He's of claimed Turkish origins, yet a blue eyed Arian (germanic variety of Yore) in appearance.
    Gotta be a back story in that I would imagine. Just never ever seen that name elsewhere.. previously.
    The only similarity with me is the eye colour...
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Alan.

I haven't quite decided what to do yet but I'm erring toward a USB Ssd directly attached to the sbt and connecting it directly to the main wifi network as a first step. Having fired the damn thing up for the first time in 18 months I've realised another of my main issues was that I could never get an iPad or phone to easily connect to the network that way and navigation was painful via the remote.

Second phase I think will be to look at building / reconfiguring the old htpc as a vortexbox as that will solve the ripping issue and may prove to be long term solution to all but we will see, it may just end up being a dead end but we will see. I'm a little bit stuck on how to output a digital audio signal from a vortexbox via coax as it seems they are all USB only to dac?
    Im sure Home Plugs would be a lot more reliable than using wifi for the Touch, I dont use them in my house as I cable everything and only use wifi for the pnone/tablet control, I will let others comment on whether its a good idea for sound quality. I would test that usb connection before buying a large SSD though, I used to connect my Touch this way then it stopped scanning the library, If memory serves me mr swenson said it was probably the size of my album art, I have too big a library to go through and remove it all so my server sits on another pc running 24/7 for Subsonic access anyway.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm rupert.

..... Having fired the damn thing up for the first time in 18 months I've realised another of my main issues was that I could never get an iPad or phone to easily connect to the network that way and navigation was painful via the remote.
    My gut feeling is that your network is not as robust as it could be. If you have access to the router, you could maybe get some statistics (errors, drops, etc.) and determine what the problem is. IMHO, that is the first step to insure a frustration free listening experience. Just my 2cts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast