Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
It's an old Netgear Readynas Duo V1 (one of the few that were originally suggested to work well with Squeezebox). I'm not sure if there is a difference if I called the squeezebox server the wrong name, are there different generations e.g. logitech Media server, Squeeze Server etc etc - TBH I have no reccolection at present on the exact name but the standard nas control software has a box to tick for running it as well as iTunes Server. I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade it TBH. Is this worth looking into more? I guess if it's useless I may be able to rip it apart and reuse the box for a Raspberry Pi and hard drives!

The decsion for WAV was deliberate (albeit possibly flawed) I had wante dto keep everything in native format to avoid the whims of time and support of different compression formats.
I don't know if the version used on the Readynas Duo V1 is a full fat one or not.
If it is full fat, then it's probably compressing all the WAV stuff to FLAC anyway - it's the default behaviour. The processing overhead could make the Readynas seem a touch slow, and unresponsive.
Netgear might have had one of their supported software programmers make a few adjustments to the Squeezebox server, which would make it behave more like mine.

I run my server on a Zyxel NSA310, which is quite lowly in the processing stakes, and Zyxel had one of their supported software programmers remove all the intensive processing bits from the Squeezebox server program.
So I know for definite that a WAV file on my server gets sent as WAV over the network, and all files are not resampled.

Most of the stuff on my server is stored as FLAC, with a few MP3s thrown in.
The majority of files on the server are CD rips, so 16/44.1, but I do have 16/48, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 files on there too, and the Zyxel just serves them when required.
My Touch is wired, and has the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) applet installed, which means that it can handle 24/176.4 and 24/192 files without the need to resample down to 24/96.
My external DAC copes easily with all the mentioned sample rates.