+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Media Streaming Options

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    It's an old Netgear Readynas Duo V1 (one of the few that were originally suggested to work well with Squeezebox). I'm not sure if there is a difference if I called the squeezebox server the wrong name, are there different generations e.g. logitech Media server, Squeeze Server etc etc - TBH I have no reccolection at present on the exact name but the standard nas control software has a box to tick for running it as well as iTunes Server. I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade it TBH. Is this worth looking into more? I guess if it's useless I may be able to rip it apart and reuse the box for a Raspberry Pi and hard drives!

The decsion for WAV was deliberate (albeit possibly flawed) I had wante dto keep everything in native format to avoid the whims of time and support of different compression formats.
    I don't know if the version used on the Readynas Duo V1 is a full fat one or not.
    If it is full fat, then it's probably compressing all the WAV stuff to FLAC anyway - it's the default behaviour. The processing overhead could make the Readynas seem a touch slow, and unresponsive.
    Netgear might have had one of their supported software programmers make a few adjustments to the Squeezebox server, which would make it behave more like mine.

I run my server on a Zyxel NSA310, which is quite lowly in the processing stakes, and Zyxel had one of their supported software programmers remove all the intensive processing bits from the Squeezebox server program.
    So I know for definite that a WAV file on my server gets sent as WAV over the network, and all files are not resampled.

Most of the stuff on my server is stored as FLAC, with a few MP3s thrown in.
    The majority of files on the server are CD rips, so 16/44.1, but I do have 16/48, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 files on there too, and the Zyxel just serves them when required.
    My Touch is wired, and has the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) applet installed, which means that it can handle 24/176.4 and 24/192 files without the need to resample down to 24/96.
    My external DAC copes easily with all the mentioned sample rates.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Good point. Never did get my pi 2b to work on wifi
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Good point. Never did get my pi 2b to work on wifi
    Hi Grant, I use a 'plugable' wifi dongle with both my pi2s and 3...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Networkin...le+wifi+dongle

...I think it needs to be a realtek chip set to work properly
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Grant, I use a 'plugable' wifi dongle with both my pi2s and 3...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Networkin...le+wifi+dongle

...I think it need to be a realtek chip set
    Must be the chip i guess. I tried 3 dongles and it never worked...or me i suppose lol. Happy enough on wired tbh now. Still got the dongles somewhere. Probably should go up to a pi3 but things would maybe not fit my fancy box so ive just stuck with what ive got. Works flawlessly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jp.

It's early days but I am currently playing about with a Pi3 B, Allo Boss/Isolator Lifepo battery, MoOde and an SSD direct to and powered by the Pi. The Pi is connected to the main network via Wi-fI (as it only requires the data for control as music files are direct to the Pi ).

It's probably had around 30 hours run in on a 12v sealed lead acid battery so far and it sounds promising although i still have to play with the upsampling & filter settings to see which I prefer more as well as battery types and voltage (I have the 6.4v Lifepo cells Allo suggest as well a big Tracer 12V 20AH Lifepo or 12V SLA already as I use them for other purposes). There are some niggles (mainly so far that I have all my files in WAV so navigation is a little clunky!)

I am currently upsampling to 192kHz or 196kHz (can't remember off hand) and 24-bit which sounds far better and free of any harshness that I had previously associated with digital. It's definitely better than most DACs I have had but we will see when/if my favourite Kinshaw DAC is repaired/returned.

For anyone considering having a bash at a Pi streamer, it is very easy and can be setup in 5 mins but IMHO there is little to actually explain how to do it and what to expect. It took me about 20 minutes farting about trying to figure out why the HDMI screen display went dead after booting and feeling quite pissed off that I had try and research the problem (which transpoired to be that it wasn't a problem and moOde was operating and I needed to access it via a browser on another device to see it! With no concept of how these things work; it was much harder than it need be for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345