+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when the past was the future

I'm Andrew.

Default when the past was the future

I've just come across an article from Hi-Fi News, October 1967, which is making predictions as to what hi-fi will be like in the year 2000. It's interesting to see how the author thought things would develop.
    http://www.saturn-sound.com/images%2...67%20-%201.jpg

http://www.saturn-sound.com/images%2...67%20-%202.jpg

The author predicted that cartridges that would weigh only 1 gram and the tracking force would be only 0.1g !! He didn't predict that vinyl would become obsolete, then come back from the dead because "it sounds warmer"

I'm Geoff.

Quote.

Ah. Must be digital then!
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Quote.

Ah. Must be digital then!
    Yes, it's interesting that digital doesn't get a mention at all. I'm not sure when the first practical experiments with digital audio began but I thought the concept had been around for a very long time.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, it's interesting that digital doesn't get a mention at all. I'm not sure when the first practical experiments with digital audio began but I thought the concept had been around for a very long time.
    Back then computers were HUGE, with integrated circuits only really being introduced in the 60s, it wasn't until the 70s that personal computers started appearing and the 80s saw affordable options and sizes drop...hence CD players. But it is strange that the author didn't foresee digital tape players.

Interestingly though the first PCM patent was filed in 1938 with the first mono PCM recorder deeloped in Japan in 1967.
    malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, it's interesting that digital doesn't get a mention at all.
    I suspect that Geoff was being facetious!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

He didn't predict that vinyl would become obsolete, then come back from the dead because "it sounds warmer"
    Lol - firstly, it was never "obsolete", certainly amongst enthusiasts who populate forums such as this, and secondly (unless you're having a larf) the fact that it 'came back from the dead' wasn't because it 'sounded warmer'.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Andrew.

Yes, I was 'aving a larf.
    Yes, vinyl never became obsolete as far as audiophiles were concerned but it was obsolete as a mainstream music medium. Now you can buy records in Sainsbury's!
    BTW, I'm pretty sure the hipster types who are playing records on those horrible turntables from Argos are convinced that they're getting a warmer sound.

Yes, vinyl never became obsolete as far as audiophiles were concerned but it was obsolete as a mainstream music medium. Now you can buy records in Sainsbury's!
    Indeed... You're right, as far as the mainstream is concerned.

However, it's also important to remember that even in its darkest days, when CD ruled the roost, vinyl 12" singles, of various forms of dance music, were being produced for DJs, in significant numbers, to play in radio stations, pubs and clubs around the world, and also bought (from independent record shops) by their fans to play at home, many of whom owned Technics SL-1200s.

And that *that* was a significant part of what has kept vinyl alive today... So, long live the 'Techy', and long live vinyl itself!

Interesting article though, Andrew, so thanks for sharing

Marco.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - firstly, it was never "obsolete", certainly amongst enthusiasts who populate forums such as this, and secondly (unless you're having a larf) the fact that it 'came back from the dead' wasn't because it 'sounded warmer'.

Marco.
    with the improvements in dac technology I think the differences are becoming close to zero for the many now, instead of just a few. After saying that I think streaming will only enhance the life of vinyl.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

DAC technology is one thing, and yes there have been some notable advances in that area, but in terms of streaming, which let's face it is the future of digital (not CD), it's not a simple task to achieve the highest sonic standards of music replay, simply because, unlike with analogue, the computers and associated electronics necessary are noisy things (in terms of polluting the mains), and so that very *key* area needs to be successfully addressed first, before streaming can usurp the performance available from the best turntables.

I mean, you didn't just plug in your Pi, in its stock form, and were instantly met with glorious sounding music; you had to work at it a bit, and address the areas I've mentioned, before you got to where you are with it now...

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast