+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How about a Technics 1210?

I'm Simon.

Default How about a Technics 1210?

I want to set up a second system in the conservatory and have wanted a Technics 1200/1210 since I used to sell them in the 80's.

Decent ones seem to go for £400 - £500.

What do you think?

Anything else for that money I should be considering?

I see that there's lots of upgrade options for them... this is something I might investigate.

I'm Robert.

Check out Techiepedia.

A great deck, heavy solid build, spares galore and very nice to use.

They sound ok from standard but respond beautifully to upgrades due to the excellent quartz locked dd system.

Also if you want something you can upgrade easily then look no further in my experience / opinion.

Shop carefully though, they're very tough but you still dont want one that's had a hard life on the dj circuit if you can help it

Mike_New Guest

Hi Simon,
    It has been my experience looking at many SL1200s on Ebay, that if there are signs of paint wear and scuffing above the
    "TECHNICS' label at the bottom right of the TT this could indicate that the TT has probably had a good life with a DJ.
    At this point is where you would normally rest your hand as you position the arm for the start of play. And a DJ might well have rings on all his fingers.

My own TT which I only use for Bearing testing (it has no arm fitted) is a very typical example. The paint has been worn through to the metal!!!
    However basically, if used for DJ work then the bearing will no doubt have become worn. Also possibly the arm bearings and probably the speed adjust slider which DJs love to use. These are however all easily replaceable.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the tip Mike.

+ Reply to Thread