+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shure M44-7

I'm James.

Default Shure M44-7

I am planning to use a Shure M55e stylus in a Shure M44-7 body.
    Does anyone know the difference between the original M44-7 stylus and the M55e?
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

If I recall, the M44-7 has a conical stylus, whilst the M55E uses an ellpitical item. I believe the M55E has a higher compliance too. I seem to recollect swapping styli between M44 and M55 bodies many years ago, so it may work OK.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm James.

Thanks Geoff, could be an interesting upgrade for the M44-7.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks Geoff, could be an interesting upgrade for the M44-7.
    You may gain some more subtlety and refinement. Tracking ability and detail retrieval should certainly improve.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

According to vinylengine the "vital statistics" are as follows:

M44-7

0.7mil (18um) spherical stylus,
    Compliance: 20cu
    Channel separation: 25dB
    Channel balance: 2dB
    Output: 9.5mV
    Coil resistance: 630Ohm
    Coil inductance: 720mH
    Total mass: 6.5g

M55E

0.2 x 0.7mil (5um x 18um) elliptical stylus
    Compliance: 25cu
    Channel separation: 20dB
    Channel balance: 2dB
    Output: 6.2mV
    Coil resistance: 630Ohm
    Total mass: 6.7g

Does that help?
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm James.

Detail and tracking should be better but I presume output stays the same even though I am changing g the stylus?

I will try this combo hopefully later in the week on a Garrard SP 25 MKiv, expecting the Shure to give the AT95e a bit of competition albeit at 3 times the price!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The tone arm of a Garrard SP25 is not really up to tracking a Shure fitted with an elliptical stylus. IMO you will be better off sticking with the M44-7.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The tone arm of a Garrard SP25 is not really up to tracking a Shure fitted with an elliptical stylus. IMO you will be better off sticking with the M44-7.
    Works very well with AT95e elliptical stylus so I am presuming Shure m55e should be ok? Will suck it and see.

I'm Geoff.

When I first started with audio, I used a Shure M75 EJ2 in an SP25III for some years. It worked OK. Did me until I got a BD1 & AT-1005 II.
    Mr. Tact!

+ Reply to Thread