+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Self-Analysis

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... Very true!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

I think the whole concept of 'normality' needs some serious analysis.

Capitalism looks at the Gaussian curve and aims to sell to the middle people in that curve for maximum sales, and in that way reinforces an implied sense of normality - what most do, and they spend a lot of money determining it.

But at the extremes are those with different traits, tastes or tendencies, perhaps implying abnormality.

Often those who think differently are those who reason for themselves, they think independently, and those who conform/comply may be seen as fairly clueless when confronted with a difficult situation or task.
    Just look at the catastrophe films of tankers and infernos to see the portrayal of those who are not aware and analytical.

If in our democracy the results in which we live are the result of normal thinking, then I suggest that normal thinking is not necessarily a good thing. (I may be alone in this view, but to me everything has gone to hell in a hand cart in the last 40 years).

Of course the well known group behaviour ensures that those with a differing view form the bulk are ostracised and this may produce conformity in many. The work of Solomon Asch showed just how most people behave when one disagrees with the majority, and this is frightening, when one thinks of the principle of democracy, and how a mass mediocrity can oppress more able people.

So lets all think the same thing then and feel comfortable :-)

I argue that the agenda set by survival in our pressurised society is such that many never really have the time to 'find themselves', and that most of what they are, and do is a result of early formation imprinting.
    (John Lennon; "By giving you not time instead of it all")

People feel awkward and ill at ease when confronting those with odd or eccentric views, because it threatens their ontological security, (their own choices and formation), and they then attempt to defend this sense of insecurity by attacking the perceived threat source.

I am subject to much ostracism because of a few superficial characteristics; I am not married and do not have a partner, I am a bodybuilder, I wear very short cut off jeans, I am a musician, I do not frequent pubs or clubs, and I cut my own hair.

But it is slowly changing; look at the uptake of cycling especially with young women, activity in protests, a wide range of now acceptable hair and clothing styles and approaches and other things, let's hope it continues and goes much deeper.
    I am optimistic.

Thumbs up Some more 'gems' from our resident Captain Insightful...

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Often those who think differently are those who reason for themselves, they think independently, and those who conform/comply may be seen as fairly clueless when confronted with a difficult situation or task.
    Indeed - so long live the 'free-thinkers' (who are such, due to being unburdened by conforming to 'the norm')!

of course the well known group behaviour ensures that those with a differing view form the bulk are ostracised and this may produce conformity in many. The work of Solomon Asch showed just how most people behave when one disagrees with the majority, and this is frightening, when one thinks of the principle of democracy, and how a mass mediocrity can oppress more able people.
    I see tons of evidence of that every day, and in terms of forums, plenty of it too, especially folks being ostracised for their hi-fi opinions not conforming to the 'accepted norm', or rather 'currently accepted (scientific) wisdom'.

So lets all think the same thing then and feel comfortable :-)
    Yes, cognitive dissonance in some areas is rife!

I argue that the agenda set by survival in our pressurised society is such that many never really have the time to 'find themselves', and that most of what they are, and do is a result of early formation imprinting.
    Indeed, which is subsequently why those who have (successfully) 'found themselves' are often resented by those who haven't........

People feel awkward and ill at ease when confronting those with odd or eccentric views, because it threatens their ontological security, (their own choices and formation), and they then attempt to defend this sense of insecurity by attacking the perceived threat source.
    *That* is the most astute observation of all, and indeed I've been a victim myself of such on many occasions. In fact, it's a fundamental reason why AoS was born [to escape from such and create a safe haven for those with "eccentric views", read as that don't always conform to 'the norm']!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Not at all.... wierdo,s
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not at all.... wierdo,s
    I know, bloody hippy layabouts. Get a shave, a haircut and a job you bunch of wasters! That's what I did.

Worst mistake of me life.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

danilo Guest

(I may be alone in this view, but to me everything has gone to hell in a hand cart in the last 40 years).

An old saw about something similar found written on a Sumerian tablet.
    Whinging about the past is clearly a ..Timeless.. human condition

You are hardly alone.. merely predictable

I'm Martin.

40 years ago so 1977 - On balance is it that much different now? There's a lot less outside toilets and no white dog shit, more traffic, fewer pubs and chippies. People don't seem to be any different though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Not sure about fewer pubs and chippies... I'd bet anything that's statistically wrong, certainly where I've always lived, based on what was there once, and what exists now

The difference now is that chippies are no longer just chippies, but double as kebab and curry houses!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The difference now is that chippies are no longer just chippies, but double as kebab and curry houses!

Marco.
    That's certainly the case here. There are more fast food places than there were. And many sell fish and chips.

Definitely fewer pubs though. I reckon over half have gone in the last thirty years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Fair enough, mate.

The fewer pubs thing defo isn't evident around here, nor in Glasgow. In fact, when I went up to see Snapper recently, I was AMAZED at how many more had opened since I was there only last year...!!

The difference, however, is that they've turned into 'gastro pubs' now (instead of old men's booze and smoking dens), whose clientele like to eat well, as well as drink well

So, it's a bit like chippies: they've simply evolved, not decreased in number. If anything, it's the very opposite, as in general folk eat and drink out more today than ever

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast