+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best dual concentric

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....
    They can be. But like all things, it varies. There are some very fine speakers that use a parasitic cone.

Feastrix make beautiful dual cone full range speakers, but only for those with deep pockets. A pair of these will set you back around £40,000 if I recall.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They can be. But like all things, it varies. There are some very fine speakers that use a parasitic cone.

Feastrix make beautiful dual cone full range speakers, but only for those with deep pockets. A pair of these will set you back around £40,000 if I recall.

Holy crap!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Adrian.

There's a lovely pair of WLM Speakers for sale on here at the moment but like always no shipping to spain.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

In had a look at the omega site a few weeks back. Yes they are beautifully made - but customs would be bloody nightmare. I'll check them out again.

One thing - I hate shouty, hard midrange - I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....
    I had my first pair of Omegas (floor standers) shipped via fedex. Beautifully and safely packed no problems. The second pair I brought back as baggage. Counted as 1 of the 2 23kg items allowed on Transatlantic flights. His factory is less than an hour from NYC by car.

The sound quality on both speakers share a family resemblance (the drivers are in house designs) but the Alnico drivers deliver that weighty valve like mid range presence. Dynamics are startling but definitely not shouty. I dislike the Fostex designs for that reason.

If you are seriously considering an Omega design i would give Louis a ring. All of his products are built to order and he has good rates on international shipping. Very friendly guy and can advise on shipping to Spain. Into cars in a big way, he has a Mini Clubman, which is quite surprising given the (poor) quality of many USA roads.

Get in touch via PM if you need further info.

Geoff

I'm Hugo.

In had a look at the omega site a few weeks back. Yes they are beautifully made - but customs would be bloody nightmare. I'll check them out again.

One thing - I hate shouty, hard midrange - I've heard that wizzer cones can be troublesome in this area - or am I wrong....
    Omega are sold in the UK by Divine Audio (see https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/brands...peaker-systems ), so no customs dramas. I have heard one of the stand mount designs (the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor IIRC) and it was one of those occasionally transcendental audio experiences - just lovely and a beautifully balanced sound but with that single driver musical coherence. As for whizzer cones, I suspect that it's a matter of the overall design, rather than their having any universal or detrimental sonic characteristics.

If you find yourself back in the UK, and knowing the sort of music that you enjoy, I would very much recommend hearing Omega speakers.

I'm Mark.

I have 2 pairs of absolutely fantastic sounding Infinity Dual Concentric 6.5" car speakers - 4 ohm impedance though.
    Sounded amazing boxed and driven by my Grant G50 Valve Amp...

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Yes. Some car speakers are very high quality and can sound remarkably good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Omega are sold in the UK by Divine Audio (see https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/brands...peaker-systems ), so no customs dramas. I have heard one of the stand mount designs (the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor IIRC) and it was one of those occasionally transcendental audio experiences - just lovely and a beautifully balanced sound but with that single driver musical coherence. As for whizzer cones, I suspect that it's a matter of the overall design, rather than their having any universal or detrimental sonic characteristics.

If you find yourself back in the UK, and knowing the sort of music that you enjoy, I would very much recommend hearing Omega speakers.
    Thanks Hugo - have to say they look remarkably good value.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post

I am glad that Louis finally has a UK outlet and that others share my view of these speakers. It must be quite recent as only a year ago they had no UK retailer. It comes as no surprise to me that this dealer is also a Croft dealer. as these speakers really sing with quality valve amplification. I use my Omegas in a vinyl only system powered by an Art Audio Quintet in triode mode and the sound is excellent. What does surprise me is that the UK prices do not carry the outrageous mark ups usually associated with US imports, though I think that the price premiums for some of the more exotic finishes are a little high over the basic models. I know that your budget is 3k but personally I would go for one of the two Alnico monitors. Do try and hear them as I am sure you will be knocked out by their performance.

The problem is that I am now tempted to upgrade to another model in the Omega range. Perhaps it's just as well that Divine Audio don't stock the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT MONITOR a 99db efficiency beast.

Geoff

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am glad that Louis finally has a UK outlet and that others share my view of these speakers. It must be quite recent as only a year ago they had no UK retailer. It comes as no surprise to me that this dealer is also a Croft dealer. as these speakers really sing with quality valve amplification. I use my Omegas in a vinyl only system powered by an Art Audio Quintet in triode mode and the sound is excellent. What does surprise me is that the UK prices do not carry the outrageous mark ups usually associated with US imports, though I think that the price premiums for some of the more exotic finishes are a little high over the basic models. I know that your budget is 3k but personally I would go for one of the two Alnico monitors. Do try and hear them as I am sure you will be knocked out by their performance.

The problem is that I am now tempted to upgrade to another model in the Omega range. Perhaps it's just as well that Divine Audio don't stock the SUPER ALNICO HIGH OUTPUT MONITOR a 99db efficiency beast.

Geoff
    I like the floor Stander's for their extra extension but love the idea of the SAM alnico montors - I guess room placement could boost their 45hz cut off.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps