Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins - not Dead yet :)

I'm shahrin.

Default Phil Collins - not Dead yet :)

nothing to add really
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Josie.

uuugh... Can't stand Phil Collins.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Martin.

'Easy Lover' with Phillip Bailey. Only good tune he ever did. Worst singer ever, grates on me. Good drummer, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm shahrin.

my sentiments exactly BlackAdder. Now that i have yr attention why do u not recommend the metal O ring idlers for the td124 ?
    (i ll allow myself to go off topic here )
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Grant.

Default Phil Collins - not Dead yet 😊

I liked him with genesis even when Gabs left. Not had much to do with his solo stuff
    Think he played a great train robber too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

I put his best of album on a few weeks back on tidal to see if I'd like him with age, as I never listened to him in the 80s etc. I can say sadly I didn't like him again.

I'm Jez.

I've always liked his stuff personally... apart from the odd exception... I vastly prefer Genesis with him at the helm! There are certain bands and musicians who it seems to be perennially "cool" to hate but which are actually very good IMHO, Collins, Dire Straits and Simply Red/Mick Hucknell being the first to spring to mind!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've always liked his stuff personally... apart from the odd exception... I vastly prefer Genesis with him at the helm! There are certain bands and musicians who it seems to be perennially "cool" to hate but which are actually very good IMHO, Collins, Dire Straits and Simply Red/Mick Hucknell being the first to spring to mind!
    Agree with you on dire straits and simply red because they had / have song writing talent to write great melodies, but Phil Collins melodies are always a bit 'dad rock', a bit grungey and kind of 'I'm an old man' and know how to rock but who doesn't have much pure song writing talent. A bit like James Blunt pretends to be a hip crooney young singer who hasn't got much talent, a bit like Ed Sheeran too. All phils songs are kind of on one level.

Sorry again to Shahrin, but just giving my opinion. A bit of a rant, now over. Lol.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Agree with you on dire straits and simply red because they had / have song writing talent to write great melodies, but Phil Collins melodies are always a bit 'dad rock', a bit grungey and kind of 'I'm an old man' and know how to rock but who doesn't have much pure song writing talent. A bit like James Blunt pretends to be a hip crooney young singer who hasn't got much talent, a bit like Ed Sheeran too. All phils songs are kind of on one level.

Sorry again to Shahrin, but just giving my opinion. A bit of a rant, now over. Lol.
    The Collins stuff I'm very familiar with is "No jacket required" and "Hello I must be going" and I can't really fault either... Good song writing and melody are the most important things in music to me and I reckon Phil has it on these albums. IMHO Ed Sheeran is very talented but unfortunately using his skills to do "highly commercial with a twist" and make lots of money... I suppose one can't blame him. I hope he shows his true talent once he decides he doesn't need to do commercial any more! The stuff I'll never "get" is the likes of The Fall, some experimental German bands, most death metal etc etc (and I'm sure there are much better examples) where there seems no attempt to be "musical"... it's all just shouting/talking and aggression over what could be dust bins being banged together. How anyone could like this is beyond me and I certainly wouldn't call it music!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Anto.

Loved him at the helm of Genesis ,and have most of his solo albums !
    I cant (or rather dont) relisten to a lot of his solo stuff myself either , but Duke was a fabulous album IMO.

I think maybe his slight big headedness , later on ,didnt do him too many favours
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast