+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eat Static

I'm Shaun.

Default Eat Static

OK, so it is a rather changeable Saturday in May and I have just had a really nice music session listening to Eat Static. To be precise 'Abduction' and 'Implant' both on CD. These are probably the best things that Eat Static ever did back in 93/94 before things turned very loud and aggressive with these two albums being really laid back trancey trippy sounding. The lowish volume just adds to the quality of these albums in a similar way to the early Ozric Tentacles albums with which there is a connection.

It may appear to be slightly daft to listen to electronic dance music using valve amplification but why not ? Why should there be any differentiation ? I adore the liquid purity of the sound that valves produce so again, why not ? Now the last time I played these two albums was in fact well over ten years ago and at that time I would have had a WAD 300B PP amplifier driving Castle Harlech loudspeakers which it didn't do too well. With that in mind and given the new equipment I have bought this year alone, I have just heard these albums in an entirely new light.

Way back in the seventies, like a lot of teenagers, I had a fond interest in UFO's and the possibility of aliens. Eat Static's music has a distinct connection with all things UFO and alien hence, I like it a lot. My favourite track of any Eat Static material is 'Abnormal Interference' from the 'Implant' CD. It brings back memories of the 70's and the Warminster 'Thing'.

This stuff really floats my boat musically with that low sub oscillator bass and that nice pounding groove. Although I think that 140+ minutes is probably enough, I love it to bits and, having rediscovered it in my collection, I shall be visiting Earth again many times in the future with these albums. My sound system is now exactly where I want it to be and this music session has just proved that to me.

It's a shame that it is only 15:22 as the one thing that would make things damn near perfect would be a nice bottle of Caol Ila.

I'm Rich.

I've had Abduction in my cd collection since it was released. Also a Ozrics and Banco De Gaia from the same period. Around this time the scene seemed to split between the more psychedelic trance crowd and the techno crowd who were more for the Detroit/Chicago and Berlin sounds. I went with the latter. It just seemed deeper and more interesting than the psychedelic trance stuff which didn't have the same groove.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Shaun.

I have also had a bit of a music session with Ulrich Schnauss and my God how my system has changed this year. This stuff is now sounding so damn good on CD. Absolutely loving this electronic music.

+ Reply to Thread