+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nottingham analogue

I'm phil.

Default Nottingham analogue

Does any one have much experience with the space deck as thinking of getting one as it makes having 2 arms so easy, thanks
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Tony.

I demoed one many years ago against an Interspace and a Hyperspace and whilst I found it's imaging to be very good it didn't to my ears have the weight of either the Interspace or the Hyperspace. However, the Interspace had a heavy weight platter.

The hyperspace was however, in a different league altogether.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I demoed one many years ago against an Interspace and a Hyperspace and whilst I found it's imaging to be very good it didn't to my ears have the weight of either the Interspace or the Hyperspace. However, the Interspace had a heavy weight platter.

The hyperspace was however, in a different league altogether.
    Agreed! NA kit rarely seems to come up for sale secondhand, which is more an indication of customer satisfaction than low sales, I think.
    I heard a standard Spacedeck up against the Ace version at a dealer, and the latter is clearly a big improvement. The same dealer mentioned the 'heavy kit' upgrade as being very worthwhile, too. I am a big fan of NA tbh, and if it were me, I'd try to find a used Hyperspace rather than buy new at a lower spec level.

I'm Dave.

Been selling Nottingham Analogue products for over 30 years. Great performance, great sound, wonderful build and totally reliable.

For the little extra it costs, the Ace Spacedeck is better than the standard Spacedeck but both are head and shoulders better than most.

I'm Paul.

If you are worried about the weight of the bass you could try the heavy kit. There is also an outboard power supply which would probably improve the sound. I love the sound of my original Spacedeck as it is but might get the supply later

I'm Simon.

I've got an Ace Spacedeck I purchased from a fellow AOS member last year. Best thing I did was to sell my LP12 and get the Ace. While no huge ''eyes opened!'' improvement (I'm still using the same arm + cart though), the Ace has slightly more authority and I know I'll never need to faff about with it like a Linn. I've set it up, changed the oil and now it just plays music with no fuss.

Nothing wrong with an LP12, it was a nice deck and very musical but I did not realise at the time I got it that I was going down the rabbit hole. I had a modest build with some parts new and others 2nd hand (built to a superb standard by Peter @ Cymbiosis) but once I realised how much it would cost to upgrade parts and never having the cash to do what I wanted I knew I just wanted a more simpler deck. For example I wanted a Cirkus bearing, that would cost £400-odd, for an off-board power supply for a used Lingo they still command such high prices 2nd hand.

I'm Simon.

I've got a Spacedeck. I bought it from Tom at NA in about 1990 and have no plans to move it on (other than for another more upmarket NA deck... maybe... one day).

I recently upgraded the arm as it had the original Space Arm. The new arms are a huge improvement.

I love the sound, inky blackness and lots of detail. Takes no setting up and just works. If anything should break any engineer could fix it.

The chap at NA who fitted my arm didn't seem convinced that the heavy kit or external power supply were really worth it. He did suggest upgrading to a Hyperspace though.

I really can't think of anything I'd swap it for.

I'm Steve.

I have owned both Spacedeck and Hyperspace and thought they were wonderful. Tone arms however can sound a little dull.

I'm phil.

What tone arms did you use on them
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Mark.

I've got the Hyperspace but found the Teres 'Verus' motor pod was a major upgrade for bass and timing.

+ Reply to Thread