+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Headphone Amp

  1. #1
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,761
    I'm Oliver.

    Default Headphone Amp

    Hi all,

    Does anyone have any experience with the Little Bear headphone amps? Or similar. I rarely use headphone with my system but recently I could've done with a headphone option. Are they any good as a super cheap option?

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  2. #2
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 30,152
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    I've had the odd Little Bear item. They do the job well enough.

    If it was me wanting something to drive headphones with cheaply, I'd be looking for a seventies Japanese integrated amp. Maybe from Technics, Rotel or Trio and the like. They are cheap, well built and tend to sound pretty good via their headphone sockets. There is also the benefit that they can be used as a backup amp. I'm rather fond of the Trio KA-2000A and Rotel RA-611, both have really good sound quality.
    Mr. Tact!

    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"


    Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

  3. #3
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,761
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've had the odd Little Bear item. They do the job well enough.

    If it was me wanting something to drive headphones with cheaply, I'd be looking for a seventies Japanese integrated amp. Maybe from Technics, Rotel or Trio and the like. They are cheap, well built and tend to sound pretty good via their headphone sockets. There is also the benefit that they can be used as a backup amp. I'm rather fond of the Trio KA-2000A and Rotel RA-611, both have really good sound quality.
    Thats not a bad shout Geoff, unfortunately theres no room at all. Just enough for a small headphone amp.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  4. #4
    Join Date: Oct 2016

    Location: Altrincham

    Posts: 6
    I'm David.

    Default

    Depends what you call cheap, but I recently bought a Musical Fidelity X-Cans V1 for 60 from Gumtree and chucked in a pair of Jan Philips 6922 and for the money its superb.
    As an added bonus it takes up very little space and looks quite smart.
    I just need to change the PSU (when I can find a sensibley priced one) and I'm good to go.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,761
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
    Depends what you call cheap, but I recently bought a Musical Fidelity X-Cans V1 for 60 from Gumtree and chucked in a pair of Jan Philips 6922 and for the money its superb.
    As an added bonus it takes up very little space and looks quite smart.
    I just need to change the PSU (when I can find a sensibley priced one) and I'm good to go.
    Ive seen a few of those knocking about recently. Ill keep my eyes open. Thanks!

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  6. #6
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 38,553
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    I recently picked up a creek headphone amp here. It is quite a nice bit of kit. creek make good stuff and this one was fairly expensive in its day. Might be moving it on again if I decide to get a dac/amp. but might not lol its very good. worth searchinh for them maybe on the bay too
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,761
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I recently picked up a creek headphone amp here. It is quite a nice bit of kit. creek make good stuff and this one was fairly expensive in its day. Might be moving it on again if I decide to get a dac/amp. but might not lol its very good. worth searchinh for them maybe on the bay too
    I saw that but couldn't get the cash together quick enough. Give me a heads up if a sale looks likely.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  8. #8
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 38,553
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I saw that but couldn't get the cash together quick enough. Give me a heads up if a sale looks likely.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

    No probs Oliver. I git it to listen to analogue but found a way that i could do dig and analogue together now so might move to a dac amp
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,761
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No probs Oliver. I git it to listen to analogue but found a way that i could do dig and analogue together now so might move to a dac amp
    Sounds intriguing. I dont do much dig so laptop jack suffices lol

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  10. #10
    Join Date: Aug 2012

    Location: North

    Posts: 2,510
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi all,

    Does anyone have any experience with the Little Bear headphone amps? Or similar. I rarely use headphone with my system but recently I could've done with a headphone option. Are they any good as a super cheap option?

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I have one and it is awfully good for the dosh.
    WEBSITE.... www.theprogmeister.com

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •