+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yorks; Tannoy DC 3836's in Rectangular York cab.

I'm frank.

Default New Yorks; Tannoy DC 3836's in Rectangular York cab.

I had heard of these Tannoy units a few years ago being flown without any baffles in a National Theatre Musical Production 20 years ago.
    I managed to snag 4 of them-they are mostly mint-a couple have some minor cone blemishes but they are 100% performance wise.

The Flying Frame is bespoke and really substantial.

Last edited by cooky; 12-05-2017 at 17:53.

I'm frank.

First fix in the DIY Yorks after opening up the baffle cutout to mount the driver.
    The cabs were a freebie from PFM's TonyL-he'd offered them up for a while without any takers and I just knew I'd have another Tannoy project in the near future so I nabbed 'em.I've posted this project over there too out of common curtesy.
    They are pretty well put together but are large panels of unbraced block-board and 12mm baffle so there's some improvements in store.

I'm frank.

They clean up pretty well and must say I do like the proportions of the 175L York-that driver looks sexy on that baffle....

I'm frank.

The Yorks are tuned to 45hz which is a bit too high for this driver so I will be modding the port at some point but as a quick drop in and using the crossovers from the CPA15 they sound bloody marvelous-in fact I prefer them to the DMT 15 xover though the TW is a bit hot so will need to pad it by a couple of dB.

Purely out of curiosity I took a quick 'n' dirty RTA screengrab pink noise@1m.You can see the bottom end drop like a stone below 45hz.

I'm Nial.

Nice....!
    Nial.

"Volume! Clarity! Bass! We must have bass!" He flailed his naked arms at the sky. "What's wrong with us? Are we goddam old ladies?"

JVC/Victor QL-Y66F/mystery (Asak-like?) cartridge - lightly modded, Sony CDP-557 ESD, Technics ST-8077K, into Khozmo stepped attenuator passive pre , Luxkit z501, out to Tannoy Monitor Gold 12/Decca ribbons/DIY no compromise cabinets Workshop low WAF system , Onkyo T9090ii, Yamaha DVD S-2700 into Wyred 4 Sound Remedy into Musical Fidelity V90 Dac into Homebrew S & B TX102 (Silver) based Transformer Volume Control and Luxkit Z504 out to lightly modded Urei 829/811A Monitors, JBL 2225H/Mission based subs, (Slightly)better-WAF-factor-than-the-rest living room system and about as near as I'll get to the midi/mini stacking aesthetic Technics ST-7300, Luxman L5, Sony CDP-915E, Yamaha KX-390, JBL L40s

I'm frank.

Cheers Nial,

I meant to add, the other pair will be going into some 150L System 15 clones later in the summer.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    I had heard of these Tannoy units a few years ago being flown without any baffles in a National Theatre Musical Production 20 years ago.
    Were they used merely as a visual prop in the theatre? What use would they have been without baffles?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Were they used merely as a visual prop in the theatre? What use would they have been without baffles?
    You would get output obviously, but only down to mid frequencies. Cancellation would negate anything below that. A driver that size might be usable down to maybe 1200Hz. Seems an expensive way to buy a tweeter though!
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Female vocals/choir as far as I know. I don't know but suppose they could've hung a baffle flush with the units 3 per side like a stage flat with holes in.....

I'm gordan.

what makes york rectangular? any thoughts re vs other cabs?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b (main) or Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Dave Slagle EMIA AVC
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 with Fidelity Research FR64fx (main) or Kuzma Stabi S with 4 Point
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit (main) or Koetsu Black revisited by Salai or Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999 (main) or Ortofon T-5000 or Luxman AD8000 with 8030 capsule or Fidelity Research FRT-5 or Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Akai CD-79 modded
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast