+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yorks; Tannoy DC 3836's in Rectangular York cab.

I'm frank.

Default New Yorks; Tannoy DC 3836's in Rectangular York cab.

I had heard of these Tannoy units a few years ago being flown without any baffles in a National Theatre Musical Production 20 years ago.
    I managed to snag 4 of them-they are mostly mint-a couple have some minor cone blemishes but they are 100% performance wise.

The Flying Frame is bespoke and really substantial.

Last edited by cooky; 12-05-2017 at 17:53.

I'm frank.

First fix in the DIY Yorks after opening up the baffle cutout to mount the driver.
    The cabs were a freebie from PFM's TonyL-he'd offered them up for a while without any takers and I just knew I'd have another Tannoy project in the near future so I nabbed 'em.I've posted this project over there too out of common curtesy.
    They are pretty well put together but are large panels of unbraced block-board and 12mm baffle so there's some improvements in store.

I'm frank.

They clean up pretty well and must say I do like the proportions of the 175L York-that driver looks sexy on that baffle....

I'm frank.

The Yorks are tuned to 45hz which is a bit too high for this driver so I will be modding the port at some point but as a quick drop in and using the crossovers from the CPA15 they sound bloody marvelous-in fact I prefer them to the DMT 15 xover though the TW is a bit hot so will need to pad it by a couple of dB.

Purely out of curiosity I took a quick 'n' dirty RTA screengrab pink noise@1m.You can see the bottom end drop like a stone below 45hz.

I'm Nial.

Nice....!

I'm frank.

Cheers Nial,

I meant to add, the other pair will be going into some 150L System 15 clones later in the summer.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    I had heard of these Tannoy units a few years ago being flown without any baffles in a National Theatre Musical Production 20 years ago.
    Were they used merely as a visual prop in the theatre? What use would they have been without baffles?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Were they used merely as a visual prop in the theatre? What use would they have been without baffles?
    You would get output obviously, but only down to mid frequencies. Cancellation would negate anything below that. A driver that size might be usable down to maybe 1200Hz. Seems an expensive way to buy a tweeter though!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Female vocals/choir as far as I know. I don't know but suppose they could've hung a baffle flush with the units 3 per side like a stage flat with holes in.....

I'm gordan.

what makes york rectangular? any thoughts re vs other cabs?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast