+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creek CD53 vs. any competent player of today, eg. Rega Apollo

I'm Attila.

Question Creek CD53 vs. any competent player of today, eg. Rega Apollo

hi, there,
    i wonder if anyone out there has had the chance to compare the above 2, or the creek cd53 and a good cd-playing, machine of past '01? models that i may be interested in to read about in this regard include the
    - arcam cd33, 192
    - rega jupiter (i have had the apollo)
    - micromega stage 3, 6, 132, 132-se
    - audiomeca obsession mk i and ii
    - helios model 2, 3
    - cairn tornado, v2.0 (+soft)
    - others that my fit in the (sonics)line easily judged from the above
    eager to learn your experiences
    Attila

save the trees - eat beavers

I'm Dave.

If you can't manage to squeeze in a Saturn, go for the Apollo, an absolutely stunning CD player which won't let you down. They are both reduced in price just now.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    hi, there,
    i wonder if anyone out there has had the chance to compare the above 2, or the creek cd53 and a good cd-playing, machine of past '01? models that i may be interested in to read about in this regard include the
    - arcam cd33, 192
    - rega jupiter (i have had the apollo)
    - micromega stage 3, 6, 132, 132-se
    - audiomeca obsession mk i and ii
    - helios model 2, 3
    - cairn tornado, v2.0 (+soft)
    - others that my fit in the (sonics)line easily judged from the above
    eager to learn your experiences
    As I've designed CD53, it would be interesting for me to know what you will find better. There are technical solutions in it which are unique and I am not sure even now if I would wish for a better player if I could afford CD53 at the time. If you plan to sell it - I may be interested .

Cheers

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Nikitin; 17-01-2010 at 00:26.

I'm Neil.

I can say that the Audiomecca Obsession mk2 is a fantastic Cd player imho/e. However I can't say how it compares to a Creek. However while they were available (before Piere Lurne stopped doing digital) it was for its £1250 price a real bargain.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you can't manage to squeeze in a Saturn, go for the Apollo, an absolutely stunning CD player which won't let you down. They are both reduced in price just now.
    you're absolutely right, dave - however:

- i did have the apollo (as noted in my 1st post), also the 35th le edition, and they both were absolutely stunning players regardless of sensible price (below 1500 GBP)
    - BUT both apollo type players, and other apollo samples that i could try, did not play some of my beloved and factory-made redbook cds that played on all non-apollos, e.g. the ol' planet included, and on different brand players
    - that's why i with my heart bleeding had to part with them
    - the same goes for the saturn...

hence i am looking for a different model, though voiced similarly...
    Last edited by trane; 17-01-2010 at 10:02.
    Attila

I'm Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nikitin View Post
    As I've designed CD53, it would be interesting for me to know what you will find better. There are technical solutions in it which are unique and I am not sure even now if I would wish for a better player if I could afford CD53 at the time. If you plan to sell it - I may be interested .

Cheers

Alex
    thanks for your input, alex, highly appreciated

i beleive you that technically the cd53 is a great achievement (and congrats for desinging such great products ), however, i used the cd50 mk2 for a while which creek on their site, and in their brochures, declared to be the best cd-player sonics-wise (i.e. pre-destiny) ever they had produced. BUT the lil' rega apollo beat it an all aspects - sans reading all my factory-made and redbook cds. that's why i had to sell the apollo(s), and why i am on the route again...

and since the sonics of the above cd-playing machines share a lot with each other, especially with the apollo, hence i listed them as being interested to learn how they compare to the cd53, which could/ought to be my first port of call
    Last edited by trane; 17-01-2010 at 10:04.
    Attila

I'm Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I can say that the Audiomecca Obsession mk2 is a fantastic Cd player imho/e. However I can't say how it compares to a Creek. However while they were available (before Piere Lurne stopped doing digital) it was for its £1250 price a real bargain.

Regards D S D L
    sure, i had both obsession models (that's why i put them in the list as 'references' for judging the performance of the cd53), and a week ago even there was a keops at ebay which i could bid for, but it is also equipped with the same sanyo mech as the obsessions, and that has a reading problem with many a today's cds . back to the keops, it went at a silly price of 672 EUR...
    Attila

I'm Neil.

sure, i had both obsession models (that's why i put them in the list as 'references' for judging the performance of the cd53), and a week ago even there was a keops at ebay which i could bid for, but it is also equipped with the same sanyo mech as the obsessions, and that has a reading problem with many a today's cds . back to the keops, it went at a silly price of 672 EUR...
    Yeah don't talk to me about the Sanyo lazer There are two versions one with plugs and one with flying leads. You can adapt the former to be the latter, but your engineer needs to be both gifted and patient. Audiomeca were not the only company to use this..all have had problems.

Frankly the later Audiomeca stuff is worth a punt on, but not the earlier stuff imho. I have a Mephisto mk 2 Transport and it is fabulous, but the mechanism is not the most silent.

The biggest issue with Audiomeca is the truly dire packaging...it was total crap and inadequate to protect the products in transit. Most problems were down to that.

Frankly a Keops is not worth that kind of money imho..but Piere Lurne has a following...so the fanboys will pay big time for Audiomecca kit.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm worried that some of this lesser known stuff will plummet in value.

Hows about an Avondale ACD3? mech replacements not a problem for Les, as he has a stockholding and the basically sound Naim original has been sensibly race tuned to perfection.. MUSIC FIRST!!!!!!

By the way, the CD-M9 mech out tracks almost anything out there except possibly some of the 1988 - 1990 vintage Sony's..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

however, i used the cd50 mk2 for a while which creek on their site, and in their brochures, declared to be the best cd-player sonics-wise (i.e. pre-destiny) ever they had produced. BUT the lil' rega apollo beat it an all aspects - sans reading all my factory-made and redbook cds. that's why i had to sell the apollo(s), and why i am on the route again...
    Don't believe all what is written . I would not consider cd50mk2 at all, FYI. CD50 (mk1) is better than mk2 (IMHO), and mk1 was more or less just CD43mk2 re-cased. CD53 is in a completely different class altogether.

Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast