+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can audio component sales personnel play tricks on customers?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    It would be if it was a high res copy of the master tape.
    From 1959? Not going to be any frequencies on that master tape higher than 20KHz, probably nothing higher than 15Khz - so what benefit would there be to using a higher sampling frequency?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    From 1959? Not going to be any frequencies on that master tape higher than 20KHz, probably nothing higher than 15Khz - so what benefit would there be to using a higher sampling frequency?
    Only the knowledge that the playback DAC used will not be brick walling the output, as the higher sample rate negates the need for a brick wall filter.
    96KHz playback would require a filter at 48KHz, which is well above anything humans can hear.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

That's not likely to be audible in any case and certainly wouldn't account for the big and obvious difference reported in the demo. Different/better mastering would. It's just the exact same scam they pulled with DVD-A and SACD.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    I've got different versions of the same cd, both red book, one sounds shit and one sounds amazing. Shoddy mastering is normally the source of the problem. I'm not saying categorically that's the issue here but I'd want to know the versions of both songs used.
    If indeed it was all down to mastering, then hats off to those mastering engineers! Folks, those were not minor, nuanced differences I heard. This was epic. Even though I know "Giant Steps" by heart, have been listening to that album and studying it for like forty years now, I was hearing Coltrane's notes so vividly on that MQA format, that it took my breath away. Plus Chambers's bass was singing so sweetly

I would really like to understand what kind of a stunt was pulled on me during that demo. 'Cause it was bloody uncanny.
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 12-05-2017 at 16:56.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Giant Steps is from 1959 so there would be no benefit from presenting it in a 'high resolution' package, therefore there can only be 2 explanations - different mastering, or some form EQ in the secret MQA processing.

Yes, audio sales people and manufacturers will pull all sorts of tricks in order to sell you. No different from any other industry, much as we would like it to be.
    No doubt. Although in this case I must say I fail to see what would the sales agenda behind this demo be? It would stand to reason that, from the commerce point of view, the high end audio stores should be shying us away from this tech 'breakthrough'. I mean, wouldn't it be more profitable for them to keep us on an endless treadmill of constant upgraditis with super expensive high end DACs and turntables and cartridges and phono preamps? What would the repeat business model with MQA for them be?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Sell you an MQA enabled DAC?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

Sell you an MQA enabled DAC?
    Yeah, the one they recommended was around $500.00; chump change for a store that is pushing $800.00 interconnects, $8,000.00 cartridges, $18,000.00 power cables and so on. The mantra was "sell your TT, sell your CD player/digital transport, sell your DAC, come over to the dark side!" What, so that they can make a one time commission on $500.00?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

That's not likely to be audible in any case and certainly wouldn't account for the big and obvious difference reported in the demo. Different/better mastering would. It's just the exact same scam they pulled with DVD-A and SACD.
    What DVD-A material and SACD material have you heard, Martin?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Only the knowledge that the playback DAC used will not be brick walling the output, as the higher sample rate negates the need for a brick wall filter.
    96KHz playback would require a filter at 48KHz, which is well above anything humans can hear.
    From what I understood after the tech was explained to me, the vanilla analog-to-digital conversion tends to produce a lot of temporal 'smears' (whatever that means). MQA is focused on detecting those smears and rectifying them. Kind of like getting everything to fully snap into focus. It apparently takes a hi-res content and folds it down to a lossy, easily streamable format while interjecting those corrections caused by the smears. Mumbo-jumbo? I haven't got the foggiest. But the results are clearly audible (to my ears).

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What DVD-A material and SACD material have you heard, Martin?
    Most of the flagship stuff, 'Stones, 'Dan, 'Mac, Sinatra, bought into it heavily when it came out after hearing one of the 'Stones SACD at a mate's. Gave some of them away but still have a few somewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast