+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mains Voltage

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In times past electronic gear used to be fitted with mains voltage selectors which selected the appropriate tapping on the transformer primary. This was because the transformers used were designed deliberately to be run close to saturation to improve regulation. If extra turns were wound on the primary to increase the saturation margin, the increased resistance would result in poorer regulation.

When a transformer saturates the inductance falls and the primary current rises. Saturation can be caused either by running the primary on too high a mains voltage or by having some DC on the mains (which is effectively is similar, but only occuring each cycle, rather than every half cycle). It only takes ~100mV of DC offset to cause toroidal transformers to buzz (owing to a lack of air gap in the core, toroidals 'hard limit' when saturated).

Early power supplies were unsophisticated, so it was important not to compromise regulation, but modern regulated power supplies can be supplied with a transformer that has a much larger saturation margin, and hence no need for a mains voltage selector.

However regardless of the margin of saturation, if the laminations are loose they will buzz, simply due to the AC nature of the mains supply.
    Excellent!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Steve, you could contact Airlink, who should be able to supply a balanced mains transformer with 220v output. Be cheaper than a mains regen unit.
    Which one Ali the bus 1500 or the bps2000?

I'm Edward.

Interesting thread.

For the past few weeks I have been trialling a friend's Isotek 2k "Qube" powering my preamp, amp, DAC and music computer.

In a word - transformative.

Much cleaner sound, insightful, rounded, more natural.

Took it out of circuit for a few days and difference very clear.

After Munich I may well get a trail unit of the Power Inspired AG1500 to see if another step change.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Which one Ali the bus 1500 or the bps2000?
    Either would be fine, I'd probably go for the larger, just cos. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Edward.

What is an easy way of measuring the quality (with audio in mind) of domestic mains electricity?

Ed
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

possibly the easiest is to borrow a mains regenerator. if it improves things then your mains isnt perfect. if it doesnt, then dont worry
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    possibly the easiest is to borrow a mains regenerator. if it improves things then your mains isnt perfect. if it doesnt, then dont worry
    True. However I'm always wary of the placebo effect - no doubt having been caught out many times. Nice to have reassurance with measurable stats. But having said that I do think I got a marked difference using an ISOtek Qube recently so perhaps an AC regen (such as that provided by Power Inspired) will be as obvious.

I see that you have the AG1500 regen unit. Did you notice a significant difference?

Interestingly in June's edition of HiFi News' there is a relevant comment (p116) on this subject. The comment also discusses the idea of "Variable MultiWave" which, to me as a layman, seems contra intuitive to a pure wave (as done by say the AG1500). But like you the comment says to try things out.
    Last edited by Edward; 14-05-2017 at 16:56. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123