+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mains Voltage

I'm Steve.

Smile mains Voltage

We recently had a new substation installed in the village and a lot of the overhead cables updated/replaced. since then i have noticed that the power supply for my pre-amp has become noisy and replaced quite a few light bulbs. I didn't think about the mains voltage until i recently bought a headphone amp and it was humming like a b......d. I contacted the manufacturer of the headphone amplifier who after some debate suggested that i had my mains voltage checked by a fully qualified electrician which i did. It was discovered that my mains voltage is running at 247 volts which is getting on towards the top end of the recommended voltage. I contacted the appropriate agency to discuss the matter and was told that it was in the range and therefore nothing could be done to lower the voltage by them to my property. With this in mind i contacted the electrician who informed me that the only thing he could suggest was wiring in an Optimisier on my distribution board in the garage. This would cost about £500 which is a lot of money. Any suggestions chaps?

I'm Jez.

Nowt wrong with 247 and it will probably vary a fair bit from day to day. As low as 230 and high as 250 is not unusual at all and mains will often vary this much on a daily basis.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm stuart.

One of these, seen them for sale for as little as £125. It'll supply everything except your power amp.

http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-a...ol-p-1811.html

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    One of these, seen them for sale for as little as £125. It'll supply everything except your power amp.

thats the one ive got. works well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post

I run all my amps + active sub through my AG1500 without any issues. But then all my amps are 10-16W except for my Croft S7 and that's also fine.

I'm Simon.

Id try one of the slightly better power inspired regenerators which I've heard people say who live in villages or rural locations, are very good. I think it was the ag1500 regenerator he was saying was very good. Depends on your system mind. I'm trying a conditioner at the moment and started a seperate thread on this. An isol-8 minisub axis. But I've no idea if a conditioner would do the same job if the mains voltage is high and their is him. Only one way to find out - Try various devices at home.

I'm Martin.

I'd send the headphone amp back and and get a refund. It shouldn't buzz just because the mains is a bit higher than optimal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd send the headphone amp back and and get a refund. It shouldn't buzz just because the mains is a bit higher than optimal.
    Agree - any competently designed piece of kit ought to operate without problem when connected to the UK mains supply.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

UK mains is 230VAC + 10% - 6%
    216.2 - 253VAC so nowt we can do about it mine has been as high as 253V as well but recently is around the 230VAC
    Mains regeneration could be a good idea ?.
    IMO Don't but anything with a 220v transformer they buzz like shi% for me

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm steve.

I worked in the pub trade, many 24 volt bar transformers buzzed, we could swap one out and it cured it, it was only down to poor quality windings that vibrated.
    I agree that anything sold in this country should be up to working on the mains voltage that is specced, but its far cheaper for them to suggest you spend money that may stop the buzzing than replace the faulty item
    Best of luck...
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast