+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planar headphones... any good?...Yup!

I'm gone.

Hmm, interesting - planar driver headphones.
    Not tried any, but I am curious about them.

Quite a good summary of the 3 different headphone driver technnologies here http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...gnetic-drivers

Dynamic drivers are like conventional speaker cones/domes.
    Planar are like ribbon speakers.
    Electrostatics are like ... err ... electrostatic speakers!

I've owned and enjoyed dynamics and 'stat headphones - very different beasts!! - but I've not heard planars.

I'll be very interested in your thoughts, Grant!

What cans have you used up till now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hmm, interesting - planar driver headphones.
    Not tried any, but I am curious about them.

Quite a good summary of the 3 different headphone driver technnologies here http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...gnetic-drivers

Dynamic drivers are like conventional speaker cones/domes.
    Planar are like ribbon speakers.
    Electrostatics are like ... err ... electrostatic speakers!

I've owned and enjoyed dynamics and 'stat headphones - very different beasts!! - but I've not heard planars.

I'll be very interested in your thoughts, Grant!

What cans have you used up till now?
    Must say I'm looking forward to trying them. Ive had a few sets over the years and am using AT's at moment which are very good.ath7's I think. these oppo's get a good rep across the board and are I think the only closed ones around at a sensible price Jerry. got 2 h/amps to try with them plus will try without too. supposed to come today
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

ATH7 - what the old electrets?

Very nice, if it's those.
    Kind of half-way to electrostatics.

This should be interesting.

I'm Grant.

oops Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...ca++headphones

they are very good
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Ah, OK - I think I heard the vintage ATH7 electrets back in my long lost yoof and was well impressed - although beyond my budget at the time.

Still, your more modern ATs look good, so comparisons will be interesting.

Go on - how much did the Oppos cost you?

I'm Grant.

Too Bloody Much is the answer......unless they impress then it'll be worth it

could have got hifiman 4000's brand new for similar cash. they are full size open back planar. The oppo is a fair bit more though.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Default Planar headphones... any good?

Arrived in one piece thankfully. Typically ive to go out shortly to babysit .

Couple of pics, and i will report my findings once i get a listen

Have to say they are solid and nicely built at least yet light too.

Quick hi rez
    Last edited by struth; 12-05-2017 at 11:14.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Default review

well, a quick review on these. They come in at over twice the price of my Audio Technica cans I'm using so it was with some trepidation I bought these Planar cans from the esteemed makers Oppo.

These come with a long cable for home listening, an android/ windows phone cable and an ios one and a canvas zip carry bag(I didnt get the bag as I bought mine slightly used)New Price is around £350 at moment rising to £400 depending.

First thing you notice is the weight or lack of, and second is how well made they feel. These are Oppo's budget version of their pm1 planers that are over a grand so first thing I can say is they dont seem budget in any way. True the earcups are fake leather, but its nice stuff, and you can wear it for long periods(at least it seems that way to me). Very comfortable and my AT's are pretty good.Sound wise, they are deffo slanting toward the audiophile as the response seems pretty flat. Bass is tight but not at all overpowering. mid range is so sweet, you don't really want to take them off.So, no bass boost here and if thats your desire best looking elsewhere. Up top, the highs are overall very good, although perhaps a little more constrained than the AT's. The extreme top couple of keys on a piano sound wrong but that can be forgiven for all the rest sound so right.
    Sound stage is better than the AT's too. I had Wallflower on and I really felt Diana was licking her lips at me as she sang at and for me only while the band were back on the stage. Alas, she wasn't. ah well you cant have everything. The light guitar work on Billy Joels Your My Home is astounding too....

VFM. hard to say as they probably are not twice as good as the AT's, but I wont be getting rid of anytime soon. Nina Simone sounds just..... real. the clapping in Sinnerman is so incredibly everywhere.

Well, enough enthusing, as they are not perfect by any means but at the price these are hard to shift. not as sensitive and easy to drive as the AT's, although not much in it, and I will say this, they take 10/15 mins to get on song. I have yet to try them in a phone but am told they will work. I feel you will need an amp to hear them at their best.
    Last edited by struth; 12-05-2017 at 16:22.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Sounds good , Grant.

My experience with new dynamic cans is that they often need several dozen hours of running in to get to their best, some have even sounded horrid to start with but have turned out really good.
    I've no idea if that is true of planars, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    I suspect they will get even better over the coming weeks of use.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the write-up Grant!

Haven't heard any Oppo's but regularly use Hifiman HE-400i and HE-1000 planar phones. Also use Philips Fidelio X2, Denon AH-D2000 and assorted In Ears..

Planars really gain from high quality head phone amps! Do NOT judge them with sub optimal amplification, which of course also applies to dynamics. Dynamics are generally the better choice, to my ears, if really good, powerful amplification isn't available!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast