+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Planar headphones... any good?...Yup!

I'm gone.

I can't get on with on-ears, either.
    I've tried a few and after quite a short while my ears start to ache.

The only exception are B&O Form 2, they are as light as a feather and I can wear them for as long as I like without problems. They don't grip much either, which is great for comfort, but they can tend to slide off without due care!
    I love the sound of them, too. Amazingly open and detailed with decent if not very deep bass, so not for head-bangers. In fact I prefer the B&O Form 2 to most cans I have tried at any price.

I'm Clive.

Welcome to the OPPO club Grant. I've been using them for a couple of years now and will not be moving them on anytime soon.
    For downstairs use I use the PM1's and for bedroom and travel the PM3's are truly excellent, something you now know about.
    Having just returned from a long haul trip involving 2 loads of 12 hrs in a plane the PM3's other advantage is that they keep a lot of the jet noise away from my delicate little ears.
    I would also recommend upgrading the standard cable to Atlas Zeno for the PM3's, a worthwhile purchase. Tried a set of Zeno's on the PM1's but couldn't hear much difference but I needed the extra length so I've kept them.

Sadly I have now heard that OPPO are discontinuing selling headphones. So anybody who can get there hands on a pair ex dem or something will find that they won't be disappointed.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Grant.

put a search into ebay if any come up.. its pricey stuff.... Yes, I am enjoying them muchly. my kinps cable will have to do at moment as i'm all spent
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm andrew.

I have a set of Hifiman 400's they sound excellent with a Chord Mojo.
    ps they are for sale if anyone is interested as I have gone to closed back cans to stop the wife moaning when she is watching tv.
    Andy.

I'm Shane.

Have you seen this video review, Grant?

S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgl394wfJE

I'm Grant.

Just agrees to a point that they dont work well without an amp. They also need a bit of running in to an extent but overall they are several thousand times better than he says his are. They dont go silly low with exagerated bass, but highs are pretty good. Guitar is nigh on perfect on mine, but again i use an amp. Ive a set of at cans that are 32 ohm that need less driving than these. They will work out of a cell phone but not well
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    My experience with new dynamic cans is that they often need several dozen hours of running in to get to their best, some have even sounded horrid to start with but have turned out really good.
    Well, that got me thinking. Although I don't use headphones nowadays, I did buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 SP2s a few years ago, which I hardly used at all before abandoning them as distinctly underwhelming. Following your advice, I just left them running for a few days, and ... big improvement. Thanks, Jerry!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Sadly I have now heard that OPPO are discontinuing selling headphones. So anybody who can get there hands on a pair ex dem or something will find that they won't be disappointed.
    That information has turned out to be a little premature. The only products that OPPO have discontinued are PM2 Headphones, HA1 Headphone amplifier/DAC and the HA2 Portable headphone amp/DAC (not the HA2SE). Sorry for the mistake.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm tony.

Interesting reading Grant. The OPPO stuff is beautifully put together and styled. I would really enjoy hearing them in my set up. I love statics and feel neutral cans are the only thing that gets close-or vice versa!!!

I listen on cans quite a bit due to working shifts-the thought of getting static like sound with cans is rather intriguing...

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Interesting reading Grant. The OPPO stuff is beautifully put together and styled. I would really enjoy hearing them in my set up. I love statics and feel neutral cans are the only thing that gets close-or vice versa!!!

I listen on cans quite a bit due to working shifts-the thought of getting static like sound with cans is rather intriguing...
    you can get a shot anytime Tony mate
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234