+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planar headphones... any good?...Yup!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Thanks for the write-up Grant!

Haven't heard any Oppo's but regularly use Hifiman HE-400i and HE-1000 planar phones. Also use Philips Fidelio X2, Denon AH-D2000 and assorted In Ears..

Planars really gain from high quality head phone amps! Do NOT judge them with sub optimal amplification, which of course also applies to dynamics. Dynamics are generally the better choice, to my ears, if really good, powerful amplification isn't available!
    Using it with a nice dac amp at moment.(smsl m6 minidac) I have tried it with just a phone and although needed a bit more drive it sounded surprisingly decent.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Sounds good , Grant.

My experience with new dynamic cans is that they often need several dozen hours of running in to get to their best, some have even sounded horrid to start with but have turned out really good.
    I've no idea if that is true of planars, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    I suspect they will get even better over the coming weeks of use.
    Yes, when I first plugged in My first reaction was, oh shit, these are shit but they came on song and just got better and better
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

had these on all morning and have to say both comfort and sound wise you totally forget they are on. by far the most comfortable cans Ive used
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

final update I guess. Love these cans not for everyone but I like them. clarity and subtlety in spades. decent soundstage too so you forget they are on
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Nice write-up, Grant

They sound intriguing.

I guess what you could do is plug them in, turn them up and then walk away to make a cuppa or drop the kids off at the pool or something .. anything that will occupy that ten to fifteen minutes
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Grant.

TBH the longer they are on the better they sound Paul. getting driven quite nicely with Jerrys dac/amp at moment via optical. A nice mix. No distortion and decent soundstage. they aint perfect but they are likely the best I will ever afford
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

I've always fancied trying a pair of high-end Stax (come to think of it, is there any other kind ??) but never have.

Closest I got was a pair of AKG when I last went to HiFiHangar. They wanted £100 for them but they kept cutting out depending on how the wire was situated.
    The thing that got me - as you said - was the soundstage : it was really amazing, properly "out of your head" left and right

I don't really use 'phones enough to justify a wodge of cash on them though.

I've got AKG Y50 for travelling and Grado SR80i for home use and they're both decent enough.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Grant.

Stax are electrostatic I think. use a generator of summat. not sure I want 10k v buzzing around my napper. pricey too. these are budget planars at about £350. most are over 1k and all way up. they are very nice and different to the normal driver thats for sure. Not everyones cuppa though I guess
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

When I was trying our various set ups for portable use (by that, I don't mean walking/running/cycling and the like, but for use when away from home in hotels, etc) I tried the PM3s, amongst many others. They're a nice phone, best used with an amp IME (a Mojo worked really well).

I ended up with the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable. This set up is much more convenient (if you're an Apple device user) and SQ is, for me, a notch above the Oppo (slightly more dynamic, whilst not becoming harsh; improved sense of space; better detail: these comments apply to me, my musical tastes and my hearing. Headphones are just so personal that everyone will have a different take). They are also a tad more comfortable. As the amp is in the cable, you can set the EQ using the Audeze app which is stored in the amp, so you can use the same settings on any Apple device. Nice touch. Having said that, I tend to use it 'flat', as it were.

Definitely worth considering if you're looking at this type of 'phone.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    When I was trying our various set ups for portable use (by that, I don't mean walking/running/cycling and the like, but for use when away from home in hotels, etc) I tried the PM3s, amongst many others. They're a nice phone, best used with an amp IME (a Mojo worked really well).

I ended up with the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable. This set up is much more convenient (if you're an Apple device user) and SQ is, for me, a notch above the Oppo (slightly more dynamic, whilst not becoming harsh; improved sense of space; better detail: these comments apply to me, my musical tastes and my hearing. Headphones are just so personal that everyone will have a different take). They are also a tad more comfortable. As the amp is in the cable, you can set the EQ using the Audeze app which is stored in the amp, so you can use the same settings on any Apple device. Nice touch. Having said that, I tend to use it 'flat', as it were.

Definitely worth considering if you're looking at this type of 'phone.
    interesting Simon. I decided to rule them out as they were on ear and i prefer over for comfort. like the cable amp/dac idea
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast