+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best music-Worst recording?

I'm Russell.

Default Best music-Worst recording?

Magic's posts about Aqualung Selling England prompted me to think, what are the worst recorded albums that you own, that the music is so great you tolerate it?

For instance, I'd say Robin Trower Live. What a great performance! He totally rocks out and performs those extended solos you won't hear anywhere else! But, the overall sound quality is quite poor. A lot of hiss, crowd noise, and poor dynamics. But, every time I pull this one out I am moved! One of the great guitarists of ever.

So what comes to mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Any Rainbow album really. And quite a few Van Halen albums too! Come to think about it a lot of metal and hard rock acts deliver mediocre results from recording and mixing. But then again Rainbow has to be recorded and mixed by "Deaf Society"

I'm Marc.

Sly and the Family Stone, There's a Riot Goin' On

Hot, fuzzy, scuzzy, intimate, noisy and totally fabulous.

I'm Josie.

Oasis, Definitely Maybe. Superb debut album. But it's irritating, saying that, so is Liam.

King Gizzard and the Electric Wizzard - Nonagon Infinity

Arrgh... Truly the worst recording quality I've ever heard. Apparently they tried to get a vintage sound but it missed the mark spectacularly. It sounds like they down-mixed it to 8khz and had no idea how to use the VU's. Compressed, flat as a fart, aftifacts-a-plenty, distorted... Yuk... But superb tracks.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm joe.

Half Man Half Biscuit 'Back in the DHSS'

Velvet Underground: 'Live at Max's Kansas City'

Iggy and the Stooges: 'Raw Power'

I'm Richie.

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

I'm Jez.

Meatloaf-Bat out of hell. I'm not sure if i have a copy but it always struck me as a truly dire recording.

Aqualung-Tull I thought not that bad in its own way.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Bernie.

Toto - Hydra. My copy is just so sibilant.
    Bernie.

I'm Dennis.

To me Bat out of Hell is a dire noise, as also is OK Computer, which in sound terms is so inharmonic as to be painful.

Sometimes it is the art itself which is so offensive, and Higher fidelity makes it worse, not better.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    To me Bat out of Hell is a dire noise, as also is OK Computer, which in sound terms is so inharmonic as to be painful.

Sometimes it is the art itself which is so offensive, and Higher fidelity makes it worse, not better.
    Both excellent albums artistically. Especially BOOH which has excellent melody, this being probably the single most important issue in music for me. The thing I most dislike and "don't get" is stuff which has 2 chords and seems to exist to show how much of a thrashy, aggressive, inharmonious racket they can make! eg Anthrax, Metallica etc and most heavy metal after about 1985. I also can't stand pretty much everything "urban" ie hip hop, grime, drum n bass "R n B" etc
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast