+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chaise Lounge killed my Sounds...

I'm Martin.

I had a weird problem like this, moving my speakers forward so that the right hand speaker had an alcove next to it instead of a wall - reduced the lower frequency from that speaker dramatically, so much so that I was looking for mechanical faults not placement as the cause.

It was Alan (Firebottle) who said it might be the alcove and he was right. Moved the speaker back 6 inches so it was next to the wall again, problem solved. The speakers are flat down to 40hz too so if your issue is similar then a speaker with better bass response probably won't help.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Yes, that seems to be the same issue as mine.

One speaker is 1.5 foot from the side wall while the other is 5.5 foot from the other side wall.

Unfortunately, there's no much I can do about the set up.

Following Geoff's feedback I have placed some cardboard behind the chaise on the wall and filled the speakers with sand.

This has gone a long way to address the issue but it still doesn't have quite the same bloom that lifting the chaise offers, sounding dryer.

I'll have to look into other room treatments, perhaps some else on the wall that's longer than the bit of cardboard that I have used.

I'll also need to put something on the far side wall as well.

Interesting but frustrating issue, still the system is sounding nice
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Yes, that seems to be the same issue as mine.

One speaker is 1.5 foot from the side wall while the other is 5.5 foot from the other side wall.

Unfortunately, there's no much I can do about the set up.

Following Geoff's feedback I have placed some cardboard behind the chaise on the wall and filled the speakers with sand.

This has gone a long way to address the issue but it still doesn't have quite the same bloom that lifting the chaise offers, sounding dryer.

I'll have to look into other room treatments, perhaps some else on the wall that's longer than the bit of cardboard that I have used.

I'll also need to put something on the far side wall as well.

Interesting but frustrating issue, still the system is sounding nice
    I think the cardboard addition suggests where your problems lie but in truth you will benefit from some more substantive room treatment. I would suggest a first step would be some more substantive materials on your walls to reduce sound reflections. I am guessing that the chaise is of substantial construction with plenty of padding.

I have had success in the past with carpet runners (typically around 80cm by 200cm). These can be fixed to the wall with a simple batton stapled to the runners. Alternatively, it is very simple and inexpensive to make an mdf or softwood frame of similar dimensions and to fix sound absorbent material to that. Of course, there are plenty of commercial products out there but at an often outrageous cost.

Not so sure about filling the speakers with sound though. I have found that this often creates an initial impression of solidity and bass reinforcement but at the cost of reduced speed and dynamics.

Geoff

danilo Guest

Curiously a while back there was a posting with Piccie of Montescue's(SP?) Parlour? and his audio setup.
    Oddly, to me at least, in the photo it was clear than a Settee was blanking one of his speakers.
    Fairly common actually, only remarkable thing about it was that it was surprising, given the allusions to Audio perfection espoused.

Room setup is an 'open chapter'. Surprising given the 'attentions' lavished on the hardware bits.
    Only hope in this is to claim one's 'Own' specific purposed Listening room.

I'm Tony.

OK, toeing the speakers in to the listening spot has tightened the image and by and large balanced the bass.

Lowering the headrests on the sofa has also improved things. I didn't stop to think how having cushioning directly behind my ears may influence the sound.

Anyway, this is likely the best I'll be able to dial it in and TBH it sounds very good Just need to not be too picky...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Dennis.

From Tony;
    "Following Geoff's feedback I have placed some cardboard behind the chaise on the wall and filled the speakers with sand."

I think that should get rid of the bass altogether, and do be careful of the voice coils.

The proximity of boundaries, especially if asymmetrical does have a substantial effect, especially on bass, and even 'filling up' a volume nearby can considerably alter the sound balance.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    From Tony;
    "Following Geoff's feedback I have placed some cardboard behind the chaise on the wall and filled the speakers with sand."

I think that should get rid of the bass altogether, and do be careful of the voice coils.

The proximity of boundaries, especially if asymmetrical does have a substantial effect, especially on bass, and even 'filling up' a volume nearby can considerably alter the sound balance.
    To defend myself, my advice was not to place cardboard!

Geoff

I'm Marc.

As a general point it's quite entertaining to see how much time, money and forum space goes in to discussing and analysing esoteric minutia (cables, trivial component changes, plugs and sockets, which GUI (over the same software) sounds better) and how little is given over to such an important and readily tweakable component of systems - the room they're in!

Folk would be well advised to read around some studio / recording material to understand that there are volumes dedicated by studio audio engineers to room design and layout (which end of the room should be 'live' or 'dead', bass trapping, diffusion, absorbtion etc etc). Obviously studio setups are much less likely to be succeptable to interior design considerations, but knowing more about how these things work and understanding how and where the issues in your room are likely to be (and what can be done to remediate them) can't be a bad thing right.

I'm Tony.

It was a noble effort though as the bass response on that side of the room is too pronounced.

The toe in and dropping the headrests has however, improved things greatly...

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    As a general point it's quite entertaining to see how much time, money and forum space goes in to discussing and analysing esoteric minutia (cables, trivial component changes, plugs and sockets, which GUI (over the same software) sounds better) and how little is given over to such an important and readily tweakable component of systems - the room they're in!

Folk would be well advised to read around some studio / recording material to understand that there are volumes dedicated by studio audio engineers to room design and layout (which end of the room should be 'live' or 'dead', bass trapping, diffusion, absorbtion etc etc). Obviously studio setups are much less likely to be succeptable to interior design considerations, but knowing more about how these things work and understanding how and where the issues in your room are likely to be (and what can be done to remediate them) can't be a bad thing right.
    Agreed, but what a mine field and where to start for a beginner like me?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast