+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tron Convergence, with Firebottle modifications.

Bigman80 Guest

Analogue art suggests picture of arty persuasion ! Ok, can we move it ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Review added!

I'm Charlie.

Oliver,

Nice review. I agree that it sounds very open with very good sound staging and great dynamics. The attack on the Convergence is particularly noticeable on percussion and piano (the hardest instrument to get right IMHO). It made my Allaerts MC1B cartridge sound almost like a Decca, when I heard it. http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blo...ce-phono-stage

It is one of the quietist phono stages I have heard - exceptionally so at that price point. This is really important if you use high efficiency horns, like my 104 dB/W Avantgardes, as any circuit noise gets picked up instantly. For instance I can't use my Radford STA15/III with my horns, as the noise is intrusive, even though the STA sounds really sweet.

I should have a listen to one of Firebottle's phono stages, if only for educational reasons. I think it is amazing if Alan can produce a phono stage as good as or better than the TRON at the price point, particularly given the costs of production engineering and regulatory costs, such as CE certification (which isn't insignificant for a small volume manufacturer).

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Oliver,

Nice review. I agree that it sounds very open with very good sound staging and great dynamics. The attack on the Convergence is particularly noticeable on percussion and piano (the hardest instrument to get right IMHO). It made my Allaerts MC1B cartridge sound almost like a Decca, when I heard it. http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blo...ce-phono-stage

It is one of the quietist phono stages I have heard - exceptionally so at that price point. This is really important if you use high efficiency horns, like my 104 dB/W Avantgardes, as any circuit noise gets picked up instantly. For instance I can't use my Radford STA15/III with my horns, as the noise is intrusive, even though the STA sounds really sweet.

I should have a listen to one of Firebottle's phono stages, if only for educational reasons. I think it is amazing if Alan can produce a phono stage as good as or better than the TRON at the price point, particularly given the costs of production engineering and regulatory costs, such as CE certification (which isn't insignificant for a small volume manufacturer).
    Thanks!

I like the Tron and it definitely does a lot right IMO. The quietness is something to be impressed by too. Its impressive.

I recommend listening to a Firebottle Vivant, for educational purposes of course 😉

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Oliver,

Not sure if Firebottle's have CE certification, so maybe Alan can comment?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Self certification with a Technical File is all that is required.

I'm Deleted.

Default Tron Convergence

CE certification for small electronics companies isn't particularly arduous. As above, self certification is quite legal and easy to do. However, that's not to say there aren't many other hidden costs.

A 'quiet' phonostage, in that it adds very little noise of its own, is an absolute must as far as I am concerned - otherwise a genuinely wide dynamic range is impossible. This is particularly difficult to achieve with MC valve stages and the primary problem I encountered when I tried one of Alan's designs.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Self certification with a Technical File is all that is required.
    You might want to check this again because the rules were updated a few years ago. A manufacturer can self certify but they must have all the documentation and evidence to back up their tests for CE approval and this is the expensive bit. Conformity now includes the EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) directive which requires a lot of very expensive test equipment and an EMC testing laboratory and RFI chamber - think upwards of £500,000 for this which is why most manufacturers go to a dedicated testing facility to obtain the documentation/conformity.

The EMC Directive covers apparatus sold as single functional units to end users, which are either liable to generate electromagnetic disturbance, or could see their performance affected by it.

If an enforcement body finds your product does not meet CE marking requirements, they will often provide you with an opportunity to ensure it is correctly CE marked. If you fail to comply with this, you will be obliged to take your product off the market. You may also be liable for a fine (€20,000) and imprisonment.

Technical documentation.
    Annex II to the EMC Directive requires the manufacturer to establish the technical documentation. The technical documents must enable the assessment of the conformity of the appliance with the requirements of the Directive.
    The technical documentation should comprise:
    A general description of the apparatus; conceptual design and manufacturing drawings and schemes of components, sub-assemblies, circuits, etc.; descriptions and explanations necessary for the understanding of those drawings and schemes and the operation of the apparatus; Evidence of compliance with the harmonised standards, if any, applied in full or in part; Where the manufacturer has not applied harmonised standards, or has applied them only in part, a description and explanation of the solution adopted to meet the essential requirements of the Directive, including a list of other relevant technical specifications applied; results of design calculations made, examinations carried out, test reports, etc;
    A statement from the notified body, when the procedure referred to in Annex III has been followed. The manufacturer or his authorised representative established in the European Union is requested to keep copies of the technical documentation for a period of 10 years after the last product was placed on the market.
    Graham Tricker
    G T Audio/AudioMeister/TRON
    01895 833099

Personal System
    Analogue: TW Acustic Black Night Turntable, SME M2-12R Tonearm, Ortofon 90th Anniversary SPU / TW Acustic Raven LTD Turntable, TW Acustic 10.5 Tonearm, Transfiguration Proteus / Studer 807 & Studer 810 Tape Machines.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith MKII / Tron Seven GT DAC.
    Amplification: Tron Seven GT Mono Phono stage x 2 / Tron Nemesis Preamplifier / Tron Telstar Power Amplifier.
    Loudspeakers: Cessaro Liszt Horns.

I'm Karl.

Nice write up mate! What are the mods you are having done ?
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Nice write up mate! What are the mods you are having done ?
    Well, thats one for a separate message lol

Ill be in touch. 😉

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast