+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tron Convergence, with Firebottle modifications.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    CE certification for small electronics companies isn't particularly arduous. As above, self certification is quite legal and easy to do. However, that's not to say there aren't many other hidden costs.

A 'quiet' phonostage, in that it adds very little noise of its own, is an absolute must as far as I am concerned - otherwise a genuinely wide dynamic range is impossible. This is particularly difficult to achieve with MC valve stages and the primary problem I encountered when I tried one of Alan's designs.
    Noise as in "hiss? Hum? Buzz? Because it was the lack of the aforementioned that impressed with the Tron. Not had that problem with a Firebottle design either though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I am confused. Is this the Tron that Firebottle tampered with? If so, it's not a standard product, and putting a review of a modded version on the web may mislead people in the future.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    I am confused. Is this the Tron that Firebottle tampered with? If so, it's not a standard product, and putting a review of a modded version on the web may mislead people in the future.
    A review of anything modified is OK, as long as it is clearly stated that the product is not in standard condition (particularly if it is a manufacturer's current offering).

Many of us modify our equipment, this is all part of the fun for the Hi-Fi hobbyist.

Last edited by walpurgis; 10-05-2017 at 09:16.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Should the title be changed to make it clear then?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Should the title be changed to make it clear then?
    I would say definitely yes it should.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Done!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

CE Conformity

"In 2004 the original directive was repealed by directive 2004/108/EC with the following changes being implemented. Manufacturers no longer require mandatory third party involvement to assess conformity providing the requirements of the directive have been followed"

Seems CE conformity is indeed covered by a Technical file unless theres some legislation i cant find? can you assist with a link Graham?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks!

I like the Tron and it definitely does a lot right IMO. The quietness is something to be impressed by too. Its impressive.

I recommend listening to a Firebottle Vivant, for educational purposes of course 😉

I have heard the Vivant and the KIN with equivalent phono stage and indeed they are very good but for me they do not give me that live realism I get from the Croft 25R+. When we compared the KIN to the Croft the KIN had wider smoother soundstage if I remember but as I have very recently found out we were listening to my Croft with knackered caps. Since I have had these replaced the goal post has moved somewhat and I would say soundstage is similar and all other aspects have improved considerably plus it has that extra bit of Croft magic
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have heard the Vivant and the KIN with equivalent phono stage and indeed they are very good but for me they do not give me that live realism I get from the Croft 25R+. When we compared the KIN to the Croft the KIN had wider smoother soundstage if I remember but as I have very recently found out we were listening to my Croft with knackered caps. Since I have had these replaced the goal post has moved somewhat and I would say soundstage is similar and all other aspects have improved considerably plus it has that extra bit of Croft magic
    Well, hopefully jim ill get a look at that very soon. Im still trying to find a day to get to yours !

Just point out that your croft​ is £400 more than the Firebottle units. Id hope it's be better ! Lol

I'm James.

I will keep firing dates at you Oliver as they come up. Sorry they are all over the place but I live a hectic life, will explain when we meet up!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast