+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tron Convergence, with Firebottle modifications.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Wow, the RIAA EQ on the TRON looks a great match to the RIAA standard on the curves. I'm not a designer, so please excuse me if every audio manufacturer gets them this close. Perhaps others on this forum could share their knowledge or even their data, so that we can all see.
    The Tron's not bad but most of my phono stages are considerably more accurate still than that.. +/- 0.05dB in most cases though I normally quote it as +/- 0.1dB

I'm afraid I'm not about to go through the measurements again to make them into pretty graphs though!

It needs to be born in mind though that a reverse RIAA eq network must be used to generate an inverse curve against which to measure the RIAA accuracy of a phono stage. this network must itself be very accurate indeed of course. I guess it could be generated digitally nowadays but I'm a traditionalist

I rather doubt that the tiny inaccuracies of the Tron's eq would be sufficient to have any but a very minor effect on it's ability to reproduce a squarewave. As an aside here, if you pass a squarewave through a reverse RIAA generator (awkward it itself as a certain amount of HF bandwidth restriction must be used otherwise it will try to produce infinite treble boost!) and then feed this through a phono stage under test you should then see a squarewave out... the degree to which it's not square reflects the RIAA accuracy and it's a great quick test that it's in the right ballpark.
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 14-05-2017 at 19:34.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread