+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a Retro PC

I'm Evan.

Default Building a Retro PC

So ..having been bitten by the bug and aquired the retro-virus ..
    I thought I'd build a retro PC and install the various stable mutations of windows over the years..
    Not as emulated OS ..or virtual PC ...but actually build them on hard drives so they can be installed on pull out caddy Trays ...
    I chose a Jetway 695AS motherboard as this at least has usb connections ..for those OS that can use them ..
    I Installed an NVIDIA GeForce 5600
    a 3com 3c905c-tx-m network card
    an Avansys fast scsi card
    The motherboard is running 2gb of ram and a Pentium III 800EB CPU
    ..it has one legacy ISA (unused) and the other slots are all pci ..
    The Jetway has an onboard audio chipset ..though as yet I am having trouble finding the drivers I need ..so where it can windows substitutes generic ones.
    I also attached an SDT-9000 DAT tape drive on one of the scsi ports ..but not able to use this yet.
    So far ..
    I have successfully built windows operating systems as follows..
    MSDOS 6.2
    Windows 3.0
    Windows 95
    Windows 98SE
    Windows 2000
    and Windows XPpro
    All are built on IDE drives ...
    not a SATA in sight ..
    lol
    ..and have christened the Tower ..
    Chameleon ...which seemed appropriate as it can be ...well ..anything I choose up to XP speeds..
    Now to dig out some of my old DOS games etc ..
    Leasure Suit Larry ...
    lol
    Remember Him ?

rgds
    VS
    Last edited by Vipersan; 30-04-2017 at 20:47.

I'm Grant.

sounds fun Evan.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

I wonder if you are perhaps the one to finally answer amandamax's question in Creative Collections Evan?

I'm Martin.

Leisure Suit Larry is an adult-themed video game series created by Al Lowe. It was published by Sierra from 1987 to 2009, then by Codemasters from 2009. The games follow Larry Laffer, a balding, double entendre-speaking, leisure suit-wearing man in his 40s. The game play revolves around him attempting, usually unsuccessfully, to seduce attractive women

Never heard of it but it sounds awesome
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richie.

Leisure Suit Larry - that is something I haven't hear about in a very long time. Chapeau!

I'm Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    Leisure Suit Larry - that is something I haven't hear about in a very long time. Chapeau!
    There is a recorded playing of Leisure (leasure) suit larry reloaded on youtube ..
    Is very adult ..and very funny ..and I swear this is Stephen Merchant playing it ..
    lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW6qFgLh85c
    It is multi part ..so just let it run on to the next 'bit'

I'm Evan.

Another use for an IDE PC that can operate as Bare Bones ..
    ie No operating system installed is that I can now reproduce from scratch using a compressed version of the proprietory Linux Based OS ..
    replacement IDE hard drives for the Philips WAC/S 700
    https://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...scy=GB&slg=ENG
    A creature ahead of it's time I think both in looks and audio playback quality..
    Also known as the early 'streamium' system.
    Philips obviously no longer support this unit ..but hard drives do fail ..
    I know this from personal experience.
    The unit is a nightmare to strip down ..and replacement of the hard drive is not for the squeamish ..
    But ..The WAC700 still sounds superb ..and is worth bringing back from the dead ...or endless booting error displayed on the Mono LCD screen.
    I guess the main problem is getting hold of 80 or 120 gb IDE drives these days..as they are no longer made ..
    Thus used or second hand drives have to be re purposed to the task..
    rgds
    VS
    Last edited by Vipersan; 01-05-2017 at 11:08.

I'm Richard.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards - Those were days! Another of my favorites was Space Quest. From the same developers but with a more family friendly theme. If you want to know how to distract the robot - Drop bin, put trash in bin, use lighter 😀

+ Reply to Thread