+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: VPI Turntables?

I'm shahrin.

3 pals of mine bought the Prime at the last KLIAV - good job they did becos of the shrinking ringgit (shringgit!) the price in our local currency has since rocketed.
    Its a beautiful tt externalised motor . 3D printed arm.
    i ve not had extended listening to any of them but I am quite familiar w the older VPI Classic
    Quite interesting comparing it to my td124 with the same cartridge (DL103R) albeit w different arms.
    Well the VPI sound is very polished. Cant fault it really
    I was pleased the 124 could hold its own with its slightly more forward pacey character.

I d buy one if i didnt have my 2 124s
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Very very true but then with that in mind is there actually any such thing as a genuine no compromise design...? Everything that is is a compromise. I guess if money were truly no limit on things then one would get a no compromise turntable within the limits of engineering which again would compromise the design. I honestly think that everything that is mainstream is a compromise. One thing of course though is that the higher up the ladder you go, the higher the margin for the dealer involved so what is the true value of the very high end...? A very high end turntable involves a very high end margin for the dealer which seriously restricts the true value of what you are buying and in that comes another compromise, the compromise of how much do I actually spend. The best way to avoid this is to buy secondhand.

The VPI Scoutmaster was to me a very good turntable and I think that VPI have let the side down with the Junior. Just looking at it shows that the engineering falls way short of the Scoutmaster. That turntable was a thing of engineering beauty. I cannot say the same for the tonearm but the deck looked bloody sweet.

If you have decided upon a VPI deck then good for you. I do not think you will be disappointed at all.
    The Scout junior, Traveler and nomad etc are all "budget" turntables as VPI try to offer something for entry level. I have heard the Traveler and it sounded wonderful although now discontinued I think. The Scoutmaster was a higher specified turntable and in a different league, however I would say if you actually touch and see any VPI turntable in the flesh they are all beautifully built. VPI don't make crap, it is not in their DNA.

The Scout 1.1 which I have is a very substantial turntable and sounds fabulous, build quality is also up there with the very best however even this turntable is only entry level at£1800 in the VPI world. After this they move to the Prime which is massive and probably all you would ever need. I listen to this regularly and it is as good as I could ever want as an analogue front end but £4000. After this VPI take off into all sorts of specials ending up with the Avenger and finally the Titan which is their statement turntable. Build quality and sound from the Avenger series and Titan must be utterly awesome. Sadly they do not import these tables to the UK.

VPI do change and constantly move the specifications of their turntables as they try and adapt to a market which is huge in America, we only get a tiny fraction of their models here but as I said the Scout 1.1 or Scout 2 and Prime are all amazing tables and compete with all the very best belters out there on the market.

We've
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Graham.

My old deck from some 10 year's back,think fitted with a Lyra Helikon.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Steve.

In the past i have owned far too many turntables including Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck and Hyperspace. I presently use a VPI and enjoy not only the looks that you mention but the better fettled mids and peppy sound. Arm is a little fiddley to set up but once sorted it's fit and forget. I think the comments from Paul H are unjustified and as Marco correctly pointed out relative. Some people like BMW cars others may like Audi it's that simple. The VPI are well engineered, simple and speaking as i find, reliable. If you like a vibrant musical sound that is natural without being over exuberant then the VPI is well worth considering. If you like a smother more relaxed sound the the Notts lean that way. Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Any love for VPI here?

I'm smitten with the looks of the new Prime which is currently out of my price range for at least a couple of years until their 2nd hand value drops.

The Scouts also look really nice but I know better than to buy audio gear based on looks alone.

Can anyone comment how they sound, against for example the Notts Analogue Hyperspace TT?

I just can't get beyond how muscular they look! Like the Pit Bull of the TT world...

Cheers

I'm Tony.

OK, thanks all

And especially thanks to Jimbo for pointing me in the right direction of a lovely mint Scout 1.1
    Last edited by Intenso; 09-05-2017 at 19:35. Reason: typo
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Tony.

It occurred to me that I will need at least another cable to put between the deck and phono stage.

Any suggestions?

Jimbo your inbox is full mate.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Graham.

I had radio breakthrough using an unscreened cable,so IME would recommend a screened cable.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    It occurred to me that I will need at least another cable to put between the deck and phono stage.

Any suggestions?

Jimbo your inbox is full mate.
    Cleared now. I use a Chord Chameleon VEE 3 between TT and Phono stage.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    My old deck from some 10 year's back,think fitted with a Lyra Helikon.
    Very nice rig, how was the AR preamp? Hard to top that Super Scoutmaster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I've always liked the look of the 'Classic' models .... http://www.vpiindustries.com/collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast