+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VPI Turntables?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Tony.

Default VPI Turntables?

Any love for VPI here?

I'm smitten with the looks of the new Prime which is currently out of my price range for at least a couple of years until their 2nd hand value drops.

The Scouts also look really nice but I know better than to buy audio gear based on looks alone.

Can anyone comment how they sound, against for example the Notts Analogue Hyperspace TT?

I just can't get beyond how muscular they look! Like the Pit Bull of the TT world...

Cheers
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Paul.

Over engineered, overpriced and what's with having the tonearm wires poking out the top of the tonearm so it's easily damaged.

And more importantly will not sound any better than turntables costing a fraction of what they are asking.

Unless looks are more important than sound quality.

Another overpriced product made to appeal to the rich Audiophools.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Over engineered, overpriced and what's with having the tonearm wires poking out the top of the tonearm so it's easily damaged.

And more importantly will not sound any better than turntables costing a fraction of what they are asking.

Must make me an Audiophool then Paul. Interesting comments from someone who seems to be judging a TT based on its looks only!

I have heard many many turntables including a Notts analogue and indeed have owned many great ones but the VPI sounds better than most in my experience.

Those looks are not just for show!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

Thanks Jimbo

Is the 1.1 the same as the 2?

Any idea what they go for 2nd hand in the UK?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

A bit strong, Paul. Consider that for those out there who earn half of what you do, and who've bought their system from a supermarket, might look at yours, and consider YOU as a "rich audiophool"...

In future, therefore, rein in the venom. Ta!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Have you ever heard one ?

You are making a habit of using the Audiophools word. That for many is highly offensive, please desist in future - thank you.
    Regards Neil

I'm Graham.

I owned a Super Scoutmaster,silly name,for some 5-6 years.The deck and arm worked faultlessly during that time,speed was spot on and never needed adjusting,only problem I had was the crap drive belts they,then used.
    I don't understand over engineered,how can anything be over engineered?
    I must assume that the gent in post 2 has never heard a VPI,so why post ?
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Josie.

Look nice... the prime is very pricey though. £4.5k !!? Yikes!

But if it floats your boat then you lay down your green.

I've never heard one myself but I've always heard good things about VPI.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Look nice... the prime is very pricey though. £4.5k !!? Yikes!

But if it floats your boat then you lay down your green.

I've never heard one myself but I've always heard good things about VPI.
    Highly respected in America, for many, many years. Presence/representation in the UK has been patchy over the years like so many other North American turntables.

I have heard a few over the years, and liked what I heard. Anything coming from the States or Canada ends up expensive here and like wise anything going from here to the States, such is life.
    Regards Neil

I'm Russell.

I own a used Scout. A very nice 'table and the nicest I've ever owned. I have never used a Nottingham, so I can't compare, but it does many things very well. The arm is of good quality, and the reason the wire sticks out the top, is because it is interchangeable. If you own more than one arm, you can mount different cartridges on each, and pick the arm right up, unplug it, and place the next one on. Although the extra arms are expensive to say the least, it's the reason for the design. Great speed stability, rock solid performance, super quiet, silent passages are just jet black. The Scout 1 and 1.1 have an acrylic platter, and the 2 has an aluminum platter. They claim the new aluminum platter is better, but I've heard it was just cheaper to manufacture than the acrylic. Mine has the acrylic platter and I love it. I paid less than half price used. And it may be the last table I will ever own?

As for VPI the company, I am not thrilled with. I sent my 16.5 RCM in to be repaired and never saw it again! Most disappointing. Still makes me angry to think about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast